Wrong Animation playing in 3D view

I’ve set up a character with several animations and everything was fine and exported fine, but I’ve gone back into blender to edit one of the animations and I’m having a strange problem.

Whichever animation I select in the action editor, only one of my animations play, even if it’s not the selected one.

I’m trying to edit a “Jump” animation, but only “Run” plays, even if I select “Jump”, or “Idle” in the action editor. The keyframes in the dope sheet are completely different.

I have noticed that if I change the view from “Action Editor” to “Dope Sheet” I can see my Run animation (and it’s keyframes) above whichever animation I have selected in the action editor, so I guess that’s a clue as to what is going on, but I’m not sure what I have to do?

Thanks for any help.

Can anyone speak to this? The problem went away last time, but it’s happened again.

You won’t have a lot of success getting this answered unless you post a blend. Post one here and then post the url. It could be lots of reasons, but we can’t see your monitor. http://pasteall.org/blend/

I’m hitting what sounds like exactly the same problem. I have several actions in my blend file such as: Drums, Dab, Wave, and Robot. I was trying to clean them up by deleting (unlinking?) ones that I didn’t need anymore. When I did that, I got into the state that the user above describes. No matter what action I have selected in the Dope Sheet, it’s always playing what looks to be a broken version of my wave animation. This happened to me the other day too and I eventually had to restore to a back up to get working again.

If possible, I’d appreciate help understanding what I need to do to get back into a working state. Also, what is the right way to delete actions that I don’t need anymore without getting myself in this strange state?

I’m really enjoying learning to animate in blender when it’s working for me but then I get into these weird states and I’m ready to flip the table :anguished:

As a new user, this forum won’t let me upload attachments to the post so I put it here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtqI9wLsYxa5g-RtW4IWN1ZWaaCGeA?e=u71pVj
Thanks!

You have pushed your actions down to the NLA. Go to your NLA. This will control now. Your actions are locked so you can’t edit them. You need to unlock them if you want to edit them. The one that is playing is the selected one on top.

1 Like

I guess it’s time to finally learn what the NLA is for and how to work with it. I’ve been avoiding it for now, didn’t realize that understanding it was relevant for what I was doing. Thanks for the direction.

Don’t want to leave you in a lurch. Just go and delete all your strips in the NLA. Without closing your blender pull them back up in the Action editor and save the data blocks. Now you should save your blender file.
here is it in 2.8. You can just select whatever action you want and play it. There is nothing pushed down to the NLA.Robotv25-brokenfixed.blend (2.5 MB)

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. I’m up and running again!

Hey, sorry for necroing this old post but I had the exact same issue. No matter which animation I selected to play, the NLA was stuck playing the same one. Turns out, this was because I selected animations while the armature was not selected. I clicked on the armature on the hierarchy and it worked. Leaving this here in case anyone has this same issue in the future.