Render bevel

Render Bevel - is simple blender addon, for making variable bevel size for round corner cycles shader.
Script requires blender 2.79 daily build, aka 2.79a from here
Render Bevel panel is located in3d View -> Tool shelf -> Tools tab -> Render Bevel panel.
Get it from here(gumroad)
or here(dropbox link)
Simple videowith example of how this works

Really nice, it even works with booleans, perfect for non destructive workflow ^^

Well done :wink:

This is mind blowing, crazy good stuff, Blender is growing to be one of the best 3d software around if you guys keep pushing this level of stuff out :open_mouth:

I didn’t try it yet but it seems really great. Thanks.

Very good solution!

Update 1.1:

• grouped bevel nodes into one group (for clarity)

This makes it possible to adjust global bevel size multiplier by going into bevel Group and changing value below:

The second inpt on multiply node behaves now as global bevel size, because it is in node group.

pitiwazou - how did you got so clean big bevel? Usually big bevel shader give ugly seam for me. Or is it just geometry bevel?

The big bevels are geometry ^^

This addon is brilliant. Thanks!

This looks really nice. Is there a way to bake these bevels to normal map? If yes, could it be included in the addon? I always texture in substance painter so don’t know too much about cycles.

1 Like

Big thanks JoseConseco !

Does this work only on good quad geometry or does it give goot results on bad geometry that you usually get from importing CAD objects? If yes this is a godsend.

Works on bad geo too:

One limitation is - if two faces share sharp edge, and both of those faces have different bevel weight (vertex color in that case) then half of bevel will have different size.
I this addon bright vertex == big bevel, dark color == small bevel.
Eg see below, I cut cylinder with boolean difference. The bevel size on boolean cut is small (== dark vertex color), but the main object has bright vertex colors and that causes half of bevel to be big and half to be small.

The workaround is to inset top face, and give it same bevel weight (vertex color), as to an cylinder that is used for boolean. This way both sides of bevel will have same size. I do not think there is other way around it…

MZProx- you can bake it in blender and it should work ok. But I don’t use blender baking so I haven’t tested it. Let me know if it works for you.

BTW. feel free to implement this addon solution, for bevel, in any addon you want, if you want.

Totally forgot about this while on vacation for the holidays. Just curious though: Why don’t you use bevel weights in Blender to do this instead of vertex colors? Can’t get to them from cycles?

Cool ,but the addon in version 2.82 does not work

Cycles can do bevel shading out of the box now. It is very high quality and won’t give artifacts.

1 Like

And how fast and easy making variable bevel size on render? Is that the meaning of this addon? Or not?

Hello JoseConseco!
Is it possible to try v2.0 (for 2.8)? Currently it isn’t available either on Gubroad or Dropbox unfortunately