Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Challenge #755 (08/12/17) Entries OPEN

Theme #755 for Friday 8th of December 2017 is:

The biggest ___ in the universe

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT, Monday 11th of December 2017.
    (your time & countdown)

"There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
    Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
    Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week."

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
    For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

For new members: if your entry/post doesn't show up right away, that might be due to blenderartist's auto-moderation feature. Your post will show up eventually. However, this can take some time (hours). So, if you are close to the deadline and your entry is caught by moderation, just send me a PM including a link to the image. I'll try to add it manually.

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :-)
    Last edited by Helge; 07-Dec-17 at 08:07.

I am drawing a blank here.... Interesting to see what others will come up with.
    Desktop - Specs Intel i7 6700k, 32 gigs of ddr4 ram, 120 gig ssd, 250 gig ssd, 1tb platter drive, 8 gig gddr5 MSI GTX 1070 - Laptop - Specs Intel i7, 16 gigs of ram, 1 tb platter drive, 2 gig NVIDIA Geforce 940MX -

It is an unusual one, I take it to be "The biggest ___ in the universe"

If so here is the first thing that came to mind.

The biggest burger in the universe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burger.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	507714

[Edit] Needs some work, any feedback is welcome
    Last edited by joshwinkler3d; 07-Dec-17 at 06:28.

Originally Posted by joshwinkler3d View Post
    It is an unusual one, I take it to be "The biggest ___ in the universe"
    Yeah, maybe I misspelled that. Whoops :P

Challenging theme there, Millani! Gl all!
    'Not obsessing about absolute precision would also be wise. This is polygonal modeling which is approximation, and the precision required is for visual purposes. In other words, not a CAD.' - JA12

That's ok, close enough. I'm used to it being Biggest in the World which I think threw me off a bit. Hence the burger being in space instead of on Earth

Originally Posted by Millani View Post
    Yeah, maybe I misspelled that. Whoops :P
    If you want me to change it - just let me know. :-)

Yeah I am staying more down to earth for mine. Going for the Biggest ant buffet in the universe. this is where I am at so far. Will work on it more later today and add some more to the scene as well.

Pure Entry 300 samples w/denoise, Chocolate bar wrapper created in GIMP by me. Going to call this one....
    " Antopia "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ant_Buffet_PreRender2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	723.4 KB 
ID:	508137  

Last edited by FlyingBanana; 10-Dec-17 at 22:39.
    Desktop - Specs Intel i7 6700k, 32 gigs of ddr4 ram, 120 gig ssd, 250 gig ssd, 1tb platter drive, 8 gig gddr5 MSI GTX 1070 - Laptop - Specs Intel i7, 16 gigs of ram, 1 tb platter drive, 2 gig NVIDIA Geforce 940MX -

Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    If you want me to change it - just let me know. :-)
    Then change it, please. Otherwise those looking through the previous themes will think I can't write

I thought of making a jackfruit. But modeling that fruit is hard.

Done. In order to avoid any confusion, the theme has just been updated.

Originally Posted by usernew View Post
    I thought of making a jackfruit. But modeling that fruit is hard.
    Maybe with microdisplacement this won't be that hard. With microdisplacement you can achive some cool things

Just quick test
    Last edited by skadoosh; 07-Dec-17 at 09:10.
    Check out my Behance, Artstation and my Personal Site to see my all projects.

@usernew: Or, depending on the look you are going for, you could get away with a simple particle system.

Originally Posted by Helge View Post
    @usernew: Or, depending on the look you are going for, you could get away with a simple particle system.
    Hair particles or emitter with emiting object?
    Check out my Behance, Artstation and my Personal Site to see my all projects.

Bigger Than the Sun

Name:  02.png
Views: 37
Size:  998.5 KB

I'm gonna go with biggest planet. Wish me luck!
    Edit one: Yo planet so big, the sun actually revolves around it
    Edit two: WiP, 500 samples, pure entry.
    Edit three: 100 samples with denoising. might be the final version.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pure
    The Biggest Rubber Duck in the Universe

Name:	earth.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	507777
    not finished
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	507750  

Last edited by beau11; 07-Dec-17 at 16:14.

Originally Posted by beau11 View Post
    Pure
    The Biggest Rubber Duck in the Universe

Views:	19 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	507777
    not finished
    This is WRONG! Please stop spreading myths! Earth is FLAT, not round!

Originally Posted by skadoosh View Post
    Maybe with microdisplacement this won't be that hard. With microdisplacement you can achive some cool things

Just quick test
    How did you do it? Will it create texture like this? http://livenaturallymagazine.com/wp-.../jackfruit.jpg

Usernew yes you can create texture like that using micro displacement, it's very a very versatile way if creating textured geometry. It's fairly simple to get going, but difficult to master. In most simplistic of explanations just turn on experimental features and after that give your object a subdivision modifier with adaptive turned on ( your subdivision will need to the last in the stack) and then just add some textures to the displacement node in your material. *Edit forgot to mention in your material settings next to the object color is an option for the displacement type, make sure to either set it to true or both. If you choose both you can also apply normal bump mapping along with the micro displacement.

With that said, you might find that there are some other important things to understand otherwise you will have a lot of trouble. For one you only see what's happening with your mesh in rendered view, solid shaded does not show what's going on. The other thing is once you start looking at the render preview anytime you adjust the displacement you will need to refresh the view (just switch back to solid and back to rendered) otherwise you won't see the changes correctly. Even if you change the displacement and you notice that the render preview changes you still need to refresh it otherwise you won't see the changes correctly. Once you understand that working with micro displacement is much easier, otherwise you will think it looks one way but then renders totally different.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the adaptive SS modifier can crash your scene if your not careful. The closer your view is to the object the more poly's it will add. If you zoom in too close and your settings are too high it can easily crash blender.
    Last edited by robproctor83; 08-Dec-17 at 09:04.
    Find me at https://www.artstation.com/robotica to see all of my art

OMG! Thanks for the answer, rob. But I am very well aware of the microdisplacement What I was asking for is how he did those ridges like texture. I tried many different textures, but it is so hard to make those bumps of that pumpkin I wonder how he made this: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models...l-fruit/883717

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast