Need advice ,Correct new PC ?

I am not tech savvy.So I need advice from you tech experts.

Any gaming PC will run all are 2D ,3D software with out question right ? Like this funny looking CyberPower or did I miss something ?
It’s still a complete tower just a compacted one right ?

So if you tryed to run all our 2D ,3D software on this very small DELL it just wouldn’t ,right ?

What happens if we run all our 2D ,3D software on Intel® HD Graphics ?

How do you know if a 3D Card is a real time card ?

If you would like to make any suggestions on affordable brand names or any thing ,fell free :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot

Just get a decent PC for gaming, with a GTX 1070 or better and at least 16GB RAM, and you’ll be fine. The rest of your questions don’t really make sense, so you don’t really need to worry about it. :slight_smile:

Any desktop PC in the $700-1200 range will suffice for beginner. No need to over-think this.

Stay away from Dell’s consumer products. Their professional workstations are great, but their consumer stuff is garbage. Build your own (it’s easy) or buy an HP or Lenovo.

Any modern PC should be able to run any 2D/3D program to some degree, but performance will relate to what the specs of the computer are. YOu need a decent processor, a decent GPU and a good amount of onboard memory, the better those are, the better you will be able to run things.
Running on Intel or AMD makes little if no difference, i believe - i THINK even some shortfalls that Blender had about rendering certain things on AMD are now gone, but someone else would have to confirm that.

Any gaming PC will run all are 2D ,3D software with out question right ? Like this funny looking CyberPower or did I miss something ?
It’s still a complete tower just a compacted one right ?

I can’t see what this Cyberpower thing is because the offering expired, but keep in mind that smaller cases will have more problems with airflow andit can get pretty hot pretty quick in a PC when doing CG work.

What happens if we run all our 2D ,3D software on Intel® HD Graphics ?

How do you know if a 3D Card is a real time card ?

If you would like to make any suggestions on affordable brand names or any thing ,fell free

1. You wouldn’t be able to use that chip for rendering. It would still drive your display. But I’d say it’s not an desirable thing. (Especially with having the coming up Eevee in mind)

2. I never heard of that term. But I can tell you, that the more powerfull your card is, the more likely it is able to perform some task in “realtime” which actually translates to perform at some given framerate so you as a user won’t notice any stutter. For example we could call a animation playback in viewport at 24 FPS ( given it’s the desired Output-FPS) realtime. (EDIT: Although viewport performance is not solely dependant on GPU)

3. Personally I’d allways build a PC myself. It’s really not that complicated and you will have control over everything. OEM boxes often make compromises with less “flashy” components like the RAM or PSU which could ultimatly lead to some kind of trouble. DCC apps are highly specialiced software so it’s no failure to prepare / specialize your machine for them. That said, there are really good OEM builders out there, but than the advantage is that you will save the money for assembly. Also don’t underestimate the amount of knowledge you’re gaining. Since you’re saying you aren’t very tech savvy I’d recommend to look into such things, since digital content creation is very techy by “nature”.

Running on Intel or AMD makes little if no difference, i believe - i THINK even some shortfalls that Blender had about rendering certain things on AMD are now gone, but someone else would have to confirm that.

There never was a difference in capabilities between Intel or AMD. Regarding speed we have to differentiate between editing and rendering. In editing a lot of tasks benefit from raw clockspeed, since they are either single threaded or don’t / can’t utilize more than 2 to 4 cores. Here the high end Intel products still make the cut. Regarding rendering you gain advantage with a lot of cores as this a perfect scenario for parallelization and here is where Ryzen and Threadripper take the crown.
However, the second part of that statement makes me think about if you not rather wanted to talk about GPUs and therefore rather say NVIDIA and AMD. Then I’m with you. In the past there where restrictions when using AMD cards to render and I’m also not aware of any left. So when buying any of todays cards you’ll be good to go.

Removed as it was a double-post

The problem with small form factors (computer cases) is that when some component breaks or you just want to upgrade to better one, you might not be able to. For example you can’t fit a full-long graphics card into a tiny box. Or you could have some odd sized power supply. And sometimes it’s not about the size, it’s about the shape; if there is no room for standard motherboard, then there is a custom shaped, sliced from some corners, so that you can not fit in a new one, standard sized bought from a store.

This is the main reason to build the pc yourself. Or you could just ask somebody to help building it.

To be short: Use standard components, your life will be easier and cheaper.

Some thumb-rules for modern 3d-capable computer:

• powersupply: 600W or more
  • craphics card for rendering:
    Nvidia: some GTX card, NO quaddro shit (bad buy/$).
    Amd: RX something
  • graphics card to display:
    Any pcie graphics card with at least 1GB memory and openGL 4.x capability.
  • cpu: any modern cpu is ok, more cores the better. Be careful to buy cpu that first into the motherboard: there a different sockets. Amd Ryzen gives best cpu rendering power/$
  • persistent memory: almost any ssd-SATA drive is good enough, but Samsung is very popular.
  • memory: choose it after you make decision of motherboard. Mobo-manual states which memory is supported. For most 16GB is enough. And buy memory in pairs, because most modern chipsets works best with dual-support.

Hope this helps.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Here is a list:

Intel Core i5 7600K 4x 3.80GHz
Gigabyte Z370P D3 Intel Z370 So.1151
16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4
8GB MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM
Corsair Carbide 200R Midi Tower
be quiet! Pure Rock
500 Gb SSD Samsung
1 Tb Hardrive

i like lenovo and asus. avoid hp and dell consumer stuff. yes, almost any “gaming pc” should serve your needs. no, intel hd wont cut it.

to build a computer, its more then just throwing all the pieces together. you need to be able to setup your bios and install an OS.

plus, even something as little as properly applying thermal paste needs to be handled with care. installing fans in the right places is important too.

if you do decide to dive in and build one, get a GOLD rated power supply no less then 700 watts.

You all are great ,Very helpful ,Thanks so very much.

One day I might start building my own PC .Now there’s a lot of youtube videos on it.
but for now I got
CyberpowerPC Black Gamer Ultra GUA250 Desktop PC
Sound like it will work for at least a few of years .

How long do your PC’s last ? I’ve had 3 last about 3 years this last one lasted 5 years before it started messing up.
I can model in Blender ,zBrush , a very old C4D basic 9 just fine .but if I play most online simple game for a while or the old war craft frozzen thrown for about 4 minutes or stay on sketch fab to long .the screen goes blank but I still have sound.

I think the GeForce GT 620 is not working. Tried different drivers n all. I’m impressed it lasted as long as it did.

The old PC still has the working quad celerons .

Say I want to model on the new PC but I want to send the renders from the new PC to the old PC to make Cycles renders.
for Blender ,DAZ ,Poser. How would you do that ? Blender n DAZ are free but Poser isn’t n licensing n all might be complicated also.

Thanks

Just to geht this clear, do you allready own this CyberpowerPC or are you planning to buy it / allready ordered? Because this thing is really more on the lower end of what can be called suitable for Blender nowadays. Certainly in regards of a “future proof” PC.
Regarding your question, I’m not sure we are on the same page in terms of what you call renders. A render, simply spoken, is a picture you made with blender. I don’t see, what’s the point to somehow transfer it to an old machine to “make Cycles renders”.

gt 730 is slower then an intel card.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+730

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4300+Quad-Core

check out the lenovo ideacentre 720. much better deal i think.

I know I’m on the low end and The CyberpowerPC Black Gamer Ultra GUA250 Desktop PC is closer to minimum specs but it’s bigger then the PC it’s replacing and the old PC ran all my software.So I’m good for at least a little while and I can always upgrade or something latter when I actually have some $$$.xman ,taxes just wrong time of the year for PC shopping for me.it will just half to do for now.it’s still better then crayons :wink:

Let me reword about cycles renders.I want to turn my old PC in to something like a render farm.

Want to do this for Blender and Poser also. DAZ uses NVIDIA Vray and one single frame render can take a hour to render.and I can’t use my PC while it renders.
So I want to render on the old PC while I use the new PC.So how do you hook the old PC to the new one to send scenes for it to render ?

Well, the easiest way would be to just copy the blendfile over and open it blender. You can do that via network (home network shared folders, SAMBA and the like) or just use a USB-stick if the former is to much hassle. Or share it via the cloud. GDrive, Dropbox etc.

Can I have The old PC just a tower with out a mouse, key board or monitor. So it’s just a tower and tell the old tower what to do threw the new tower that has the mouse, key board and monitor ? and if yes which suggestion of yours would you use ?

Thanks

For a headless system I’d use GNU/Linux and a SSH connection. But I have a strong feeling that’s not the way you want to go. For all Windowsy stuff someone else has to answer.

or Can I have both towers share the mouse, key board or monitor ?

That’s what SSH is about. On windows there is something called remote connect but I can’t speak for that. Also you may have look at the proprietary Synergy.
Edit: Forget about Synergy that’s for sharing input input on monitors connected to individual machines.