A Few Normal Map Baking Related Questions

Before anything I’d like to say that this is my first time on the forums.

Recently I’ve been trying to learn a High To Low Poly workflow. While I do know how to bake normals I can’t seem to figure out two things:

1. What is considered good topology for baking normal maps? Whenever I bake them most of the time I get several issues mostly related to shading. While YouTube tutorials show how to bake normals, they don’t show what is good topology, and unlike them I always end up with bad normal maps.
  2. How many vertices should I use for cylinders? I thought that 8 would be fine, however I see most professionals use 12 or even 16. I try to make game ready assets so I have tri-budgets.

Any help is appreciated, and I thank you for accepting me into the forums.

TIA

1. What is considered good topology for baking normal maps? Whenever I bake them most of the time I get several issues mostly related to shading. While YouTube tutorials show how to bake normals, they don’t show what is good topology, and unlike them I always end up with bad normal maps.
    What issues do you see ? You don’t want overlapping UVs and ideally don’t have seams where they are clearly visible (down the middle of a persons face for example)
  1. How many vertices should I use for cylinders? I thought that 8 would be fine, however I see most professionals use 12 or even 16. I try to make game ready assets so I have tri-budgets.
    How big is the object in the scene. If its only going to take up 10x10 pixels on the screen at most then there’s no need for it to be made up of 128 sides. If its outline is going to be clearly scene you may want to use more. The question is how many sides do you need for it to be the quality you want it to look.

Also please use the appropriate support forum for support questions rather than posting in the blender discussion forum. Thread moved.

So, it’s my first time too… And I have some bake related questions:

My normal maps aren’t carrying the smooth details from the high poly object to the low poly…

High Poly:

Low Poly:

Normals: