Updating config value when starting a new file?

Hi all.

I’m currently working on an addon (very specialized) and I’ve set up some input fields in the Tool shelf (a set of folder locations), and default values are read from a config file. I’ve also created a button so that the user can change those folder locations in Blender and save them to the config file.

In my register function I have this:

config_file = open(config_filepath, 'r')
config_from_file = json.load(config_file)

(plus something to write a new file if it doesn’t exist)

Property definition:

bpy.types.Scene.fPath = bpy.props.StringProperty(name='', description = 'Some path', default=config_from_file['PathKeyName'])

I have another class deriving from Panel, and in its Draw function I have this input field (among other things):

row3 = layout.row()
col3 = row3.column(align = True)
col3.prop(context.scene, 'fPath')

And to save its value to the config file:

row4 = layout.row()
col4 = row4.column(align = True)
col4.operator('object.save_settings', icon = 'FILE_TICK')

I also have a SaveSettings class whose execute function includes this:

config_file = open(config_filepath, 'w')
new_config = { 'PathKeyName' : context.scene.fPath}
json.dump(new_config, config_file, indent=4, sort_keys=True)
config_file.close()

It mostly works. If I start Blender, the values are correctly read from the config file. If I change the values in the Tool shelf and click the Save button, they get written to the file. Let’s say I change the path from c:\PathOld to c:\PathNew

The problem is that if I start a new .blend file, the value still shows PathOld, even though PathNew is in the config file. If I restart Blender, it then does say PathNew. It would seem that the config file is only being read when the program starts. Does anyone know if I can modify the addon to make Blender re-read the config file without the user having to restart the program?