Does anyone have any coal material examples?

I have a character whose surface texture is to be similar to coal. I figured I would look around for some coal textures to get some inspiration from, but I can’t seem to find any. I realise after some thought that perhaps coal is just really hard to do, it has this difficult mix of opaque and shiny surfaces. See image below. Perhaps I should start from scratch and experiment but the whole lack of coal textures being seems odd. i just cant find anything even half realistic using goolge, the ones I have found are more focused on making a glow effect from fire.

Does anyone have any good examples of coal? I was planning on using Cycles.

Just after some samples for inspiration.

use some displacement
looks like there is some bluish specular too on left side at least !

and for render a good HDRI map

start something and share file if possible then we can help improve it

happy bl

yup, tho bluish is most likely something reflecting… search: graphite coal
use almost black albedo, IOR of carbon/graphite/diamond (~2.4), some diversity in roughnes/reflection and some magic displacement

here’s a quickie lit by Sun & IBL / the most tedious part is getting the believable structure right

did a quick render
but also depends on type of coal
some are matte or specular

you might start with a mesh and a rough shape
then add some small texture and displacement

happy bl

Attachments

That is a fantastic start. I have done some experimenting with the Veroni texture, adding multiples with different scales in an attempt to replicate the effect coal has of heing shattered crystals. I’ve backed off the musgrave too. I think this is actually a close enough approcimation that it will do for my purpose for now. I will keep an eye here though since its an interesting discussion.

I should mention I have barely used Cycles. I don’t really know what I’m doing… yet.

Heres what I had so far. coal.blend (523 KB)

tried with your squarish shape

happy cl

Attachments

added some bluish spec

happy cl

Attachments