Fender Precision Bass with procedural textures

So as a bit of an experiment - I thought rather than slapping photographic textures on this, I’d see if I could texture the whole thing procedurally. There are no image based textures at all here, it’s all just using the built in Blender textures, which also means I had to do absolutely no UV unwrapping!

In the past I’ve done weathering like this by hand painting onto the model. It’s probably turned out looking more stylised than something made with image based or hand made textures.

Anyway, the first image is just a black environment with some lighting, the second is lit with a HDR environment (OK, I guess that’s technically an image based texture…).

I’ll post the node setup for the main body in the comments!

1 Like

Very impressive, especially your nodes tree!

cool looking guitar:)
as I am quite new for blender I like to ask how do you define/select the area where the weathering should be applied on the body? I mean is it coming from node definition somehow or from some other selection trick?
thanks!

Thanks guys!

To answer your question - it’s all done in the node setup. When you have a mix node, like mixRGB or a mix shader, the ‘fac’ Value is used to control the mix between the two colour inputs. Closer to 0 is more of the first input, closer to 1 is more of the second input. To use this to mix certain areas you can plug a black & white texture into the fac value. If you think in terms of black being 0 and white being 1, you can effectively choose which areas will show the first colour input and which areas will show the second. Shades of grey will give you a mix of the two, depending on how close to black / white they are.

If you look at the first node screenshot I posted you can see the top mixRGB node has the first colour input set to the yellow paint colour and the second colour input has the wood texture plugged into it. The weathering texture is plugged into the fac to control how they’re mixed across the surface of the mesh. I hope this answers your question! :slight_smile: