Rendering time of 35 hours???

So, I have this scene, and for some reason it is taking a REALLY long time. (estimated 4 hours on GPU, 35 hours on CPU)
And that’s just a single frame! 1920 x 1080, 24 samples with denoising, 119,850 faces. Nothing crazy. I have a Geforce GTX 1050 ti, and it renders pretty fast with every other scene I’ve done with it. I set the tile size to be 256 x 256, and it makes a small improvement, but that is obviously not the problem. I am using HDRI lighting, so I thought that might be it, but I changed to a simple lighting set-up, and it made no difference. Please help, if you need any more information I can give it. Thanks.

Without access to the .blend file there is no way of finding out what the issue is.

Square samples enabled maybe? See the checkbox in Sampling panel. This, as name suggests, squares the sample count so instead of 24 samples you have 24*24 samples, which obviously takes about 24x more time.

But even at 576 samples, it shouldn’t take that long. Perhaps you put the percentage amount under the resolution to a crazy value, maybe you typed 1000% instead of 100% (making a resolution of 19200x10800).

Bingo! This turned out to be the problem. I don’t know how square samples got enabled, but somehow they did :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you so much, render times are back to normal now. :slight_smile: