Ranger Scout

Update: a rough from a week ago.

Aragorn’s gear are good place holders . The larger landscape is a concept from a year ago.

the Scene is lit with world illumination HDRI at 4, and 2 overhead suns. I threw in the New Zealand mountains pic to give a backdrop.

3 Likes

There’s only a few things that stand out to me about this, in a needs-improvement sense. The first is he’s not actually standing on that lower rock. His foot on the upper rock should probably be further back, so more of the weight is at the ball of his foot. It’s a strong pose, so his feet should be firmly planted.

The other thing is the style of the character (which I like, nicely done) doesn’t match the environment. This, however, could probably be fixed in compositing with palette limiting, blurring and sharpening, or other such filters and combinations thereof.

Agree on stance. Wasn’t sure whether L knee and foot should be higher, with more weight upon it.

On terrain and seasonal appearance marching appearance clothing - you ‘re suggesting a more colder/sere landscape than is depicted?
browner yellowish tones. Late fall/winterish?

Oh, no, not at all, the scenery is good, in concept. That high up in the mountains is likely to be cold enough for that, regardless! I mean, the scenery is different art slyle than the character, and it’s a bit jarring. You can fix this in post processing, if you render it on a different layer, and use filters in the compositor. I suggest, for a fast fix, blur or soften the background until you can’t make out any hard edges, then mix it back in with the orginal background with a color mix node, using your black and white texture image of choice as a mix factor.

Great points. Check. I’ll put the landscape in a blender (blender? Get it?) and mix until I get the distant focus blur.

Alternately, you could try something like this (except instead of the sharpen, a texture with ‘brush strokes’ that more closely resembles the art style on your model):

It’s quick and dirty, but I hope it gets the idea across. (Obviously you would only be doing this to the background).

leather needs some dust and dirt. it is too glossy for a man in the wilderness. but i like the overall scene. looks like yosemity. think about moving the camera to the right, so the scout is in the left third of the picture. now it looks a little like not middle - not side.

Good eye brother! Good eye, as it is in the Yosemite area. I agree hes a little too clean. but uncertain how to make dirt/dust maps, yet

Attempted a cooler background and shifted camera to the right …
Used an blue color. 50% opacity, layer to provide an OVerlay tint to background photo

Used some blue tint in overhead sun

bent knee to bring weight more on forward foot. plus a bit of lean that way.

Extended back leg back further.

Peeled coat back to open up body a bit more

reduced foeet size

Shortened the legs, a bit …

Attachments

i like it. but to be honest, the other cameraposition was ok too. i dont think you need a dustmap. lower the gloss or give it a brown color with low saturation. this may do the job. im not sure, but you can try.

S-Market, yeah, looking at it now… it’s too dark. And although the legs are better, the shoulders and chest are a weaker posture.

I’m going back to the original torso, shoulder and head alignment. But keeping the bent knee and extended back leg.

good tip on knocking down gloss.

• Background has a blue tint overlay on it. But I composited the render layers in Gimp.

• used original character pose but applied bent leading knee so more weight is over front foot. Also more extended rear leg.

• Gloss knocked down on leather coat, and weathering of leather, upped.

• did a bit of facial work Detail is lost in the bigger landscape scene, but no drama.

I’m gonna try a couple other angles as well

Oh, And Merry Christmas, Blend heads

Attachments

2 Likes

another angle looking up …

will add dirt and veg on rock later

Attachments

Using another scene backdrop …

Attachments

OK, redid pic above. It was too dark. lost the rim lights.

Increased indirect front illumination …

Two rims, rear right and left

One overhead

and one low indirect to birghten the legs areas.

Attachments

1 Like

… double tap

the leather is so much better now.

S- Market, can’t tell if thats sarcasm. Leather doesn’t seem much different. I did knock down the glossiness, though.

Added another angle shot, just to see as well added some grass and moss to test. At this point they look more bathmat like

I like the other “looking upslope angle” better in previous pic.

Attachments

1 Like

redid prior angle looking up at Viggo.
took a weed eater to the weeds and thatch.
reduced number of and Desaturated the pine needles.
Darkened the moss image texture. But I see I need more particles to buff up the moss.
Got rid of lower alpha pine.
got rid of Multires modifier for rock surface.
Re mapped rock surface to gain better resolution of granite image

lowered the overhead sun and changed angle to more fully illuminate Viggos face. I tried a lower angle sun but it washed out his face.

added two harness straps for sword and sheath.

smoothed the outer brow
knocked some of the volume down from side of head towards eyebrows
also added a few more defined lose locks of hair on forehead.

got rid of environment world lighting. Using only sun overhead, sun indirect forward aimed towards legs. And an area rim light illuminating edge of leather jacket.

Attachments

1 Like