Eiko Ojala's digital paper: is it "easy"?

Hi.

I am fond of Eiko Ojala’s digital paper:

This is a particular of his Vertical Landscape and it is completely CG.

I am not a graphics professional, but I am in love with those shadows and bent paper, and I would like to learn Blender with this target project in mind.

What I would like to understand, as my time at the moment is very limited, is if a drawing like this is almost straightforward in Blender, after I will learn how to cut the plane, or if it will take me ages just to move on from the basics to reach the necessary expertise.

I know it is a kind of a silly question, but I have been flabbergasted by the apparent complexity of Blender’s interface. I am afraid to spend too much time on the basics and then stop for ages in the mud because some cryptic flag is not set…

What do you think? If you were to make a tutorial, would it be feasible for newbies?
Or am I aiming to high?

Thank you in advance for any idea here.

The reason for that is because Blender can be used for all stages in the pipeline http://www.upcomingvfxmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3d_production_timelines.jpeg

The program is vast, but it’s not the interface that is hard to learn. It’s relatively easy and these will get you going with that
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0AfIdK08E7_PKsXOO_yuAql9b3hdcwPR

And it’s even easier when you don’t have preconceived notions on how it should work like a person that is coming from other programs or fields might have, and would have to pay attention on how to learn it http://nimblecollective.com/learning-blender-why/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSEtTF8hPE&feature=youtu.be&t=527

The hard part is to learn the fundamentals and advanced topics in the pipeline stages you need, which are universal, and to combine that knowledge with the tools you know into a workflow. There usually are multiple workflow options, which is why everyone models differently, and also why no one else can answer a question that starts with “what is the best way to…”

What you’re showing is relatively simple. From the pipeline you would need design, modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering. If you try to replicate an existing design, like the one you’re showing, you could jump to modeling. If you make your own, start with the design first without necessarily opening Blender and once that is done, then continue with modeling.

You don’t need to crawl through the mud by yourself. Could ask help to get unstuck. That requires some skill though, which is to understand that it’s not enough for you to describe your problem.

If you spend any time at all in Blender preparing something, anyone who tries to help will need to understand the problem and have the access to the same assets and settings you used to get yourself stuck. That means that if you spend two days doing something and hit a snag, the person answering will have to catch up in minutes, and it’s only possible to give 100% accurate answers when having the same information as you do. That’s because, if you paid attention, there are multiple ways to do things.

It’s not hard though. Use full interface screenshots to help you explain the problem, and also prepare an example .blend file that demonstrates the problem, every time.

Don’t annotate the screenshots, use it to help you explain. Do it right and it saves you a lot of writing and time. You can highlight things that are important but not obvious in it, but people who see it have the gift of eyesight so you don’t need to waste time pointing out everything. Sentences like “here’s an image:” are especially stupid.

Preparing a .blend doesn’t mean you have to share everything you have. You can remove or replace things that are irrelevant or things you can’t share. It needs to have enough to demonstrate the problem.

Tutorial linked in my signature shows more on why and how to prepare a post.

Thank you, JA12.
I feel more positive about the task.
I begin to study :slight_smile: