Dyntopo sculpting questions

Hi guys,
I am somewhat new to Blender and have a question regarding a smoothing issue when using Dyntopo. In the picture below have the anvil I am currently working on (going through Blender Guru’s tutorial). In the video he (sorry I forgot your name if you see this) says there is an issue with Dyntopo with smooth curves where is makes it look faceted. This seems like quite a large issue to me but I can accept that when working on large areas like the cone of the anvil but it also seems to be wrecking my sharp(ish) edges on the top of the anvil. The top image is before I apply the brush and the middle image after it has been applied. Is there a work around for this other than manually smoothing it out? It seems counter productive to manually create this geometry but then ruin it with the sculpting brushes.

Thanks for any help guys, this has been giving me a headache for a few days and I can’t seem to find much about it online which makes me think the issue is something I am causing somehow.

The bottom image is me applying a blob brush with no strength to it. It still creates the faceting affect.

Edit: Attached the .blend file as requested.

Attachments

Anvil.blend (1.22 MB)

Sculpting with multiresolution modifier keeps the existing structure flows. Dynamic topology tesselates and the tesselation result isn’t great at first. Could use multiresolution instead, if your structure allows it as is, or with changes to it. Can’t see it from the cropshots, which I hate with a passion, and there’s no example .blend, so figure it out.

Right. Could add cuts across the edges to make the quads shorter there

which get subdivided on a shorter distance and need less subdivisions with multiresolution for sculpting.
It doesn’t disrupt the rest of the geometry as it uses same algorithm as subdivision surfaces.

It’s because of dyntopo, it’s more useful for organic sculpting. You can increase subsurf levels instead, apply it, then sculpt using the normal sculpting tools (without dyntopo). That way you will only affect the vertices you sculpt on, and the vertex count will stay the same. You could also use multires but it has been known to create holes and not work great sometimes.

Thanks guys. I made some progress with this last night. I knew the issue was the topology but was hitting performance issues when I put it up to a level that let me get the kind of details I wanted and dyntopo sort of spoiled the smoothing of the mesh. I got around this by sculpting what I could with normal sculpting tools then adding the smaller details with a stencil and sculpt brush.

I’m still a bit concerned that dyntopo isn’t working as smoothly as I expected it to. My PC has 16gb of Ram, a Geforce 1060 gpu and a 3.5i7 cpu, I know its not a powerhouse but I wouldn’t have expected performance to be this poor. Other than individually clicking at polycounts of 3m and up dyntopo is very laggy. I am managing to get my work done but only just.

I have already scoured the web for tips regarding performance and implemented a couple of them where possible but are there any tips you guys could offer that may help the situation? Most of the tips I have found are a bit dated now.

Thanks