The Living Room Project

This is my first interior render project created in blender.

The origin idea came from my wife. We talked about a new wall color in our personal living room and about to buy some new furniture. So I started to rebuild our living room in 3D to show her the new wall colors - actually…

First I created the walls, to show the wall color - but the room looked very empty. So I began to add some more objects, and some more and more - and “suddenly”: The complete room was ready. I used the project too, to get a deeper insight into blender. It is really a great software. I can not await the next update this year.

Render time: About 4 hours per image on a GeForce GTX 1080Ti.
You will find the settings infos in one of the screenshots below.

By the way: You can support my work by buying the scene. For example you can use it to check the render settings I used in blender or how I created the material nodes, or the carpet etc. More infos about the package can be found in my gumroad shop here: https://gumroad.com/Taros

If you have any questions, drop me a line.
Greetings from germany

Attachments

9 Likes

Here are the settings and some more images.

Attachments

1 Like

A wireframe render and detailed views (Rendered in 4K).

Attachments

1 Like

Those are some really good renders! Very realistic. I wonder if you used post-processing, or are they straight out of blender.

Thank you. Good eye. There are two postpro levels I used in Photoshop, but very reduced.

1. Some chromatic aberration effect
  2. Some blurry noise fx to get a camera photo result. The blender renders are too clean… :slight_smile:

And one small thing more: the renders were a bit too warm colored so I used a white balance effect to get the right colours for the finals.

The quad view screenshot has no postpro, except the white balance and is direct out of blender.

Do someone has a advise how to avoid denoiser spots that appear often when using bump maps, if the denoiser radius is low (below 20)?

A bigger radius helps, but my experience was to increase the samples too.
Another experience was if you are using ao a lot, then the denoiser works better and produces less spot.
But more AO resulst in a brighter and flat image…

Thank you

I know that the denoiser is most efficient with the radius set <16,
that the strength controls noise sensitivity,
and that the feature strength controls detail removal.

With this information, just fool around with it to get a good grasp on how to use it.

I typically set it up something like this: rad 8-12, strength .5-.25, feature strength .38-.13.

Great work, hope this helps, and God bless.

Thank you for the answer.
I have made a lot of tests with the denoiser values while working on this project. The lower the denoiser radius the more artefacts it produces in my scene. Especially on the blue wall. It is dark. Bright walls makes less problems.

I think is is always very individual and dependent of the scene content how well the denoiser work. Sometimes you need no denoiser. Mostly in outdoor scenes or product shots.

Here is a result with your advice. Can you see what I mean? My values are on the left hand.

My experience is: Normally there are no artefacts on the wall. Cycles works well. But as soon as you use the denoiser, it produces artefacts.

BUT! This happen with bumped materials more than with no bump or no normal map infos. Clean diffuce or texture materials without any structure works well with the denoiser.

I think the denoiser still need a lot of work.

Attachments

very good light work

1 Like

Oh I love that light coming into the room, such a cool relaxed feeling in the styling.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words.

I have experimented a lot to get a good light setting. The main problems were not to find the light direction or the light type setup. My main problems were the rendering times… :wink: But I found a good solution in a render time of 50 minutes for a 1920 x 1200 pixels image. The 4k version needs about 4 hours, depending of the view. All at 1200 samples with denoiser.

For the interested users: I use just an HDR image to light the complete scene. There are four area lights placed at the window positions too, but they are set to portal and help only to reduce the noise and add some more light from the HDR environment.

Additionally there is a very small ao value added.

A big thank you to Gred Zaal for his free HDR collection at https://hdrihaven.com.

I’m going crazy while testing the new upcoming denoise node for Blender 2.81.
It can be activated in the compositing area and will revolutionize all known Blender build in solutions that exist before…

So crazy: I needed 4 hours at 1200 samples in version 2.79 at 4k to get the first results at the top.

In Blender 2.81.3 I render the same image @ 100 samples in around 16 minutes and get nearly the same result. The Blender development is really promising. I never regret to move to Blender some years ago.

Cheers!

If you love the denoiser, you’ll love this video too (It’s got very helpful tips for Intel’s denoiser).

1 Like

Thank you. There are already a plenty videos online describing the new denoiser. I’m familiar with the other denoiser options. But your video tip is good and may help others to understand the backgrounds better.

1 Like

@Taros These renders are fantastic! What appeals to me the most is the lighting. It’s very similar to real world lighting. I’m really new to the Blender communities and was wondering if you could help me figure out a materials question. I need to create something similar to the ceramic pots you have or the white *radiator? along the bench. And I would love to put similar lighting on my scene even though it is outdoors. I noticed you have lit your scene with HDR. Is this simple in 2.8?

Archive Progress3.png

The siding on the side is what I am hoping to see in a bright glossy white. This will be for an arch viz scene for an outdoor reading room.

Thank you so much and greetings from US!

1 Like

@Brotherpine That’s easy:

1 Like

Archive Env Lighting.png

@Taros Wow thank you so much! This makes it look so much better! :exploding_head: I’ve been hearing so much about the denoiser too. After seeing your work I am sure I will be checking it out! Thank you! That was much simpler than I thought.

1 Like

If you are new to Blender then my Blender Quick Tip Collection may help you.
The list is constantly growing. You can watch the series here:

Or visit my YouTube Channel to see all my videos: https://youtube.com/graphicgladiator

1 Like

This is great! Thank you so much! Already put a couple on my watch later list. :ok_hand:

I’ve hacked my way through using blender for almost 11 years now. And the most basic of techniques still elude me! I’m having more problems now though from doing things wrong for so long that I’m investing the time to relearn things and do them properly. I so greatly appreciate the help! And I saw you are from Germany! I hope to go to school there (in München) and am learning German/relearning blender for my application. Also dann vielen dank!

1 Like