libre 5 phone,

will this phone be blender compatible?
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

I want to get bge running on one with tacotron 2 and make a totally customizable pecs environment that is all free / open source hardware and software.

It would make more sense to ask them. It is rather unlikely considering the Blender support for Android.

it says it has a old school graphics pipe* and uses linux open source stuff etc.

“We believe phones should not track you nor exploit your digital life. We are in the middle of a digital rights revolution where you get to decide the future. We at Purism are building a phone that does not run Android nor iOS, but runs PureOS or any GNU/Linux distribution where all the source code is available.”

If the guys being Libre Phone ever hope to have a large ecosystem for PureOS, then they will need to give people a stronger argument to use it than just digital privacy and the lack of tracking.

What about hardware, people are not going to switch over from Android or iOS if it means giving up a lot of computing power and/or features (like a high quality camera and AR capabilities).

In a way, I don’t see any reason for UPBGE devs. to spend a lot of time coding support for that platform unless game developers have a chance for a large number of sales (which won’t happen unless they get millions of users).

yeah, I was just wondering if it might natively support a distro of linux that supports blender*

GNU distributions the Librem 5 can run

• PureOS
  • Debian GNU/Linux
  • Ubuntu
  • Fedora
  • Suse
  • Arch Linux | ARM
  • SubgraphOS

… is it gonna be for real? Hopefully Steam too?!?
Nice :slight_smile:

Considering what Razer is doing with their Android laptops (plug in phone into a laptop shell and use phone as the computer and as a trackpad) Blender on Android might not be as silly an idea as it used to be.

Yup, had also project Linda in mind :smiley: … next level of artists mobility & freedom.
Would make me really happy & interested, if it was made to take-in any phone (with extra-enhanced tech in the box).
But since it’s “closed, owned, patented & licensed”… and me not a consumer (more creator) i can’t see myself to fit in. :wink:

You’d have to make a port of Blender for ARM and OpenGL ES 3.1, but most importantly - who in their right mind would want to run Blender on a phone? This thread is more an ad for the phone with some loose connection to Blender thrown in there to make it not off-topic.

I think it will run blender easily. If I remember it correctly - we already can run blender on android phones(download gimp from play store - it comes with full debian).
If it will run distros like debian, arch, ubuntu and so on natively - then it will also run blender. It will be similar device to raspberry pi - I tried to use blender on it - rendering is very slow, but modeling(at least not complex meshes) is as smooth as on PC.
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?407724-Blender-Internal-and-Cycles-render-on-the-Raspberry-Pi

No, steam does not run on ARM

I wanted to use the phone for blender game engine to create PECS systems for children who can’t speak.

Ipad is too big and bulky and the source code is closed.

android has some nice candidates but the end user can’t do anything to write new features or extend / upgrade in the wild.

I was thinking bge because it’s super flexible and uses py which has a low barrier for entry.

bpecs already works but I was thinking of trying to support tacotron 2 next and finish enhancing the ui.

edit here is the typewriter / predictive typing

and here is Pecs icons using a atlas it plots the cards onto when the program starts.

To blender on a droid try and sideload / install from:
http://download.blender.org/demo/android/
16MB .apks are just the player, 30MB the whole shebang.
Save and transfer to the droid a minimal legacy format .blend to open with the app. Use Internal or BGE renderer.

Increase dpi for better clickability and viewing. Had set 128 on a 1920x1080 droid.
Absolutely use a mouse whether bluetooth or OTG connected. Keyboard would likely help too as onscreen wasn’t working here.

Gives an idea of what it’s like.

Tried the player but didn’t implement input logic to test touches etc.

As technology improves it probably will. It is 2018 and now we have quad chip phones…