Help with installing retopoflow

Hello,

I am an artist from a 3rd world country, and I really don’t have the money to buy retopoflow, this is why I downloaded the repository from github, however I do not know how to install it.

Do I need to compile it first?

Anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Download it as a .Zip. Open blender > user preferences > add-ons > install from file (choose the zip you downloaded), after that you just have to enable it.

I have downloaded retopoflow 2.0 at github and installed like you said it doesnt detect or display any error

Simple way to install RetopoFlow directly from Blender. File > User Preferences > Add-ons > Install from File. It will open a File Browser in Blender, and allows you to navigate and select .zip file which you have downloaded. Press Install from file. If the browser auto-extracted the downloaded .zip file, you may need to re-compress the RetopoFlow folder before installing. Once RetopoFlow had Installed, the blender automatically filters addons list to show only RetopoFlow. You can then enable the add-on by clicking the checkbox on the upper right of the add-on panel.
![Installing RetopoFlow]({{ site.baseurl }}/assets/img/rf_addon-install.png)

I have done all that, have donwloaded 8 or 9 zip file add-ons and never had an issue with installing them. When I click on retopoflow and then install add-on from file, it pauses for a moment as if it is installing it and then takes me back to the main add-on page and no retopoflow can be found. In Windows explorer I see it in the tree, but cannot find it anywhere in the program itself. I did search all and nothing found.

It shows in the add-on file, but it isn’t listed in the add-on section of User Preferences.

retopo retopo1

1. 1st image, I’d remove the - and . from the addon folder name. Using _ should be fine if you want it.
  2. Make sure the init.py is in the retopoflow folder root, not in a subfolder. If it is in a subfolder, that subfolder is the actual addon.
  3. 2nd image, Shift click to also highlight the Official and Testing buttons.
  4. Search / filter again. Retopo should narrow it down sufficiently.

I am really lost as to what the issue is. I have added maybe ten install add-ons and no issues. It says it is in Blender, but a search shows nothing

retopo2

1. Try renaming the folder first from retopoflow-2.0.2 to retopoflow_202 as suggested.

2. Make sure you’re using stable Blender from https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/ aka 2.79b dated 20190322, not a buildbot / nightly.

Definitely the stable version and changed folder name, still isn’t found even though windows explorer says it is in Blender.
retopo4

Rename the installed addon folder not the zip file. Beyond that, you could try:

1. copying retopoflow into a fresh Blender install.
  2. the Load Factory Settings option in case of misconfiguration.
  3. disabling other addons in case of a conflict.
  4. refresh the addons list and or restart Blender after extracting to the addon folder.
1 Like

Ok, I renamed the installed file and that worked!

Why is that?

Greatly appreciate the help. That would not have been in one of my first three million guesses of what to do.

Just convention / expected formatting. Why that convention? Guessing it came from a Venn diagram of least, or even no, failure across OSs.

also @LoboTommy
I think after renaming the folder, it needs to restart Blender, then Blender will be able to recognize the folder.

I have a stable version of blender, but when installing retopoflow 2.0.2 it just does not appear in blender as the other users do not appear neither the folder nor the addon in the list of addons in user preferences

It is not even in the documentation an installation guide for cases where you have problems to install.
in addition to this the adon brand that is for 2.8, not for 2.7xxx.
then what is the version for the 2.7xxx branch?

change this to see if it’s acceptable and it did not work

1 Like

you have to rename the folder to just “retopoflow”. No “retopoflow 2.0” or “retopoflow_3.0”, just “retopoflow”. You cant have any additional text on the folder name cuz apparently blender doesnt like that lol. thats what i saw in a youtube video at least.