Parenting question.

Is there a way to parent object only in x and y coordinates? Or mayby to copy position of one object just in world x and y coordinates?

Python would work for this:

own.worldPosition.xy = other.worldPosition.xy

I’m thinking that relationships can be established between objects using properties and messages. I’m just getting into trying that now. If I have any success with it I will post back.

It’s good to try new things, but the aforementioned method is much cleaner, faster and simpler to incorporate.

I’m just scratching the surface so far, but it is possible to get granular control over object properties in relation to other object properties using only logic bricks. But I’m already seeing that using properties and messages gets messy really fast, since brick types are restricted to their respective columns in the logic editor. It’s too bad that logic bricks can’t be freely positioned and connected between objects within a single window.

It’s too bad that logic bricks can’t be freely positioned and connected between objects within a single window.

You can combine logic from multiple objects together. Just select an object and hold shift select the other object, now you can wire the bricks from one object to the other object.

That is useful to know. Thanks.

Use states to organise your logic bricks. For example you can place bricks related to your character movement on first state, and other group of bricks(collision detection, properties rtc) you can place on different state layers. Only thing you have to do to make all states to work at same time is to highlight them by clicking on needed states holding shift. Pretty handy. States system in BGE (state machine) is very powerfull tool to control you game ojects.

I finaly managed to copy only two coordinates in python.
Now I have another parenting question, why the blue box (representing turret ) is not parented well to the space ship (red box) when mowing in 3d space? Space ship have got track to actuator in 3d, turret also but tracking in 2d. How can I connect turret to space ship that it will follow it rotation and mowement in 3d?
Here is a file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oygqsi28xc6ibx1/parent%20problem.blend