AMD Ryzen+; Tangible information is starting to trickle out

Within the article is a database of generic tests that gives a hint on how well the Ryzen 5 2600 will do.

Based on comparison with a link posted by someone in the comments (of the same tests with a Ryzen 5 1600), the chip in its current pre-release state looks to give a possible 10-15 percent performance bump. Some argue that there will be a very small increase because of the small bump in clockspeed, but we need to take into account the other improvements as well (such as XFR 2.0 and issues from Gen 1 being resolved). However, we also don’t know the final score in applications that people actually use, and concrete reports may be more than a month out yet.

Pretty much, the only things we know for sure is that Ryzen+ is on a 12 Nanometer process, has an equal core count, has an improved XFR feature, and has slightly higher clocks. Many details such as the new motherboard features have yet to be revealed. It is also to be noted that this is not Ryzen2, but rather is largely a refreshed and improved version of Ryzen1.

It still looks like it has disappointed a few people though, but that they be a factor of user-generated hype and not marketing from AMD. It will probably have superior multi-core processing compared to Coffee-Lake nonetheless (especially if Intel can’t mitigate the recent slowdowns that has mainly hit their CPU’s). Chances are a lot of people with Ryzen 1 won’t upgrade, but it’s only a good thing for people who usually skip Gen 1 products of any type because of the usual hazards of being early adopters.

Will this be the year (especially for those with older machines) to upgrade or not?

AMD is on a role. I can see their CPUs doing well for the next few years. Now, if they can get their gaming fps numbers up for the gpus., but then again compute people are buying them all up.

That’s the problem with AMD. They repackage the same hardware with different manufacturing process and give it a brand new name that will make people believe it’s a new tech.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 vs AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Come on. That’s some bullshit.

:rolleyes: Guess who else is doing it - everyone.

As I said, fixing issues from Gen 1 is a key component here (the actual Ryzen 2 is expected to have a bigger jump and won’t be out till next year). Other new tech. that is coming (yet not revealed) also indicates that it won’t quite be just a repackaging.

I seriously considered a Coffee Lake PC early this month, but then came more details on the Meltdown and Spectre mess (super-fast storage like M.2 got hit pretty hard from the fixes). I guess it would all depend on how much performance can be recovered in the coming weeks.

I will stay with my ryzen 1600 oc at 3.8ghz its still a beast CPU and as its look will be faster than stock ryzen 2600

If you have Ryzen1, then there’s not a lot of incentive to upgrade, I can agree there.

However, someone commented on Guru3D that this chip mainly makes a good case for those who chose not to pull the trigger for the original one (because of bugs related to the platform). Some of the complaints on news sites are from those having trouble telling the difference between a refresh and an entirely new generation.

Besides that, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if AMD announces they just beat their goal again in terms of performance (Ryzen+ for one thing was originally supposed to be on a 14nm+ process, not 12nm).

Intel has been doing it with every “tick” for 10 frigging years. But hold on, there is more. The last “tock” was Skylake back in 2015 and they refreshed it with Kaby and Coffee Lake. Next year we will have the very same tech on a new process.

I don’t really know why are you so outraged by this since, as burnin said, everyone is doing it.

he just uneducated on the subject(or a fanboy of intel?)…plain and simple…regardless Esparadrapo is correct.

it also makes sense if you consider(excluding threadripper and epyc lines of products) it is ryzen gen 1-600 ryzen gen 2-600…at least this is my assumption of the naming convention.

when they use a new architecture it will be a different name all together…not ryzen.

also do not be upset by market competition…it’s great for consumers…

Rumors are coming out now with leaked benchmarks from Geekbench.

The new Ryzen 5’s (supposedly) are up to 15 percent faster in single-core and up to an impressive 31 percent faster in multi-core. If this is repeated in the Ryzen 7 models (and if this is true), then it will be the clear performance king in areas like rendering and it will give a compelling reason to upgrade (if you skipped out on Ryzen 1 due to the usual hazards of early adoption).

Not only that, the chips could get faster yet as the Microcode continues to get worked on for the official debut.

speed is one thing, but for me the decider is power draw and heat.

I’m fairly certain the ryzen architecture is cooler and lower wattage than current or newest gen intel…if I am wrong feel free to correct me with some links please.

The Coffee Lake chips are known to run pretty hot at full throttle, and the Skylake X chips can consume crazy amounts of power at the higher end.

Ryzen meanwhile is known to be pretty power efficient for the output they are capable of (though the amount of power needed for the new chips is unknown at this point).

I’m considering the move to 7nm to be lower on both counts…if that is still the case(7nm)…or any transistor scaling reduction.

There’s now reports about what the clockspeed of Ryzen+ will be (Ryzen 2700x)

Keep in mind that these reported clockspeeds are still not based on the final chip, but we already are finding out that the 2700x gets a nearly 10 percent boost in base clocks and breaking the 4.0 barrier when boosting (meaning it is faster than the Ryzen 1800x). This also doesn’t take into account any IPC boost as well as any improvement in the Infinity Fabric (which is not bad at all for what is supposed to be a refresh).

We also don’t know the final speeds for the top-end Ryzen 2800x. I would think that more official info on these chips should come during the GDC which is this month. Then of course we only have one more month until the official release.

New purported benchmarks, showing a boost speed of 4.35 Ghz for an unknown Ryzen chip.

EDIT; That article was just retracted, there’s a lot of leaks right now (but not all of them may be reliable).

Rumored benchmarks are starting to surface.

At first, it might seem that the single-core performance bump is rather small while there is a appreciable bump in multi-core performance. That might sound disappointing in the single-core department, but it has to be noted that the benches were done on a cheap, entry-level A320 motherboard (which is one of the lowest performing boards you can get for the new processor).

As a result, the final bump in gaming performance may end up being a bit more than 4 percent on a better board and the rendering performance bump even higher (particularly if it’s one of the new ones).

uhh, what?!! The VRM’s of the low end motherboard should be limiting to the multi-core performance not the other way around.

edit:
OK, this makes a bit more sense now:

The rumored processor was supposedly tested on an entry-level A320 motherboard that doesn’t support XFR2.

The mobo being an A320 doesn’t really matter as much then as the generation of the motherboard chip-set.

The rumored price of the Ryzen 2700X is lower than previously thought.
http://www.game-debate.com/news/24852/amd-ryzen-2000-series-pricing-is-cheaper-than-previously-claimed

It turns out you will be able to get it at exactly the same price as the i7 8700K (slightly slower in games yet should be a bit faster in multi-core tasks). There’s also evidence that a price war is brewing, with Intel coming out with cheaper Coffee Lake chips for mobile PC’s and AMD slashing their already low prices for the new APU’s.

Since the cheaper Ryzen 2700 will be just under 300 dollars, this means the last couple of years has seen the price of octo-cores come down by over 70 percent (they used to command a 4 digit pricetag).

Awesome news!!! I am AMD guy myself.

But have you tried their Radeon Vega gpus with Blender??? Does it work? Are their any issues?
Also, mainly use CPU for rendering (not Cycles). And only GPU for testing my Games I develop.
I want to know before I go out and by one.