Bevel node test

The best thing with bevel node that I didn’t know was that you could add objects to build something and the just join it to one mesh. When it joins and you apple the shader then there won’t be any visible cross sections.

Just a note. It is 5 times slower to render but If you’re going for a very advanced shape then sometime a bevel node can fix the problem.

No bevel node to shader:

With bevel node to shader:

That’s an extreme example, but interesting to see the bevel node being able to handle this type of thing (Brecht did a great job here).

Even then, the general rule of thumb is to only use shader-based beveling for situations that can’t be handled by the bevel modifier or the bevel tool (due to a lack of ability to merge vertices among other things). Still, I have already used it to decent effect even if I could use the modifier (reliable and easy to use).

@Dragon
The problem I see using the bevel shader as a “general rule” is that it is limited to one size. This is an example where it’s used more as a meta ball like solution rather than a actual bevel use case. In theory almost all objects should have some kind of beveling. I just wish that there was a way that seperate objects could share the same bevel node.

Interesting. Just messing with this now to see what it does. Anyone know why it doesn’t work exactly right with inward corners of the same mesh, but outwards? But the inward corners where two separate meshes intersect it does work.

Just testing with bevel controlling shader normals on the background object, and same shader setup on foreground with no bevel. Two meshes overlapping in the same object. Inward creases of the same mesh show dark, but catch a highlight where you have similar angles between the two intersecting meshes.