Would you like a website with professional Blender assets for free?

Hello everyone!

I’ve been thinking about a project and I’d like to hear your opinion out.

I currently sell professional assets at a 3D Store with prices ranging from 6$ to 33$ and I had this idea to create a website of my own to share all of them for free. This way, I would be surviving on donations instead of sales and a lot of people would benefit from it. What do you think about it?

Would you like such a website? Would you actually use it? Would you donate?

I’d love to hear what you have to say.

I think no, I mean great idea, but there is already blendswap…and although not free there is also the blender cloud…and I do not think people are going to blindly donate…no offense, but you have 24 posts …this does not come across as stability…more like an idea of whimsy. I am not trying to be harsh, just completely honest.

You have gumroad to make that

I think no, I mean great idea, but there is already blendswap…and although not free there is also the blender cloud…and I do not think people are going to blindly donate…no offense, but you have 24 posts …this does not come across as stability…more like an idea of whimsy. I am not trying to be harsh, just completely honest.

Great answer, exactly what I was looking for.
I really appreciate your honesty, I forgot to mention it was’t Blender exclusive but more intended to game engines, so I will keep on asking in other more specialized forums.
As for the 24 posts I am not really devoted to the community, but with my website design and 3D Artist experiece I think I could come across a better plataform than BlenderSwap for the user.

Thank you!

What a dumb statement… but hey, no offense…

I would do it slowly. Release some assets for free, then one a day. If people like, they will donate. Don’t use gumroad, I find it sucks. You never know when there are updates and it’s cumbersome to download. My prefered example is the one from Greg Zaal with HDRI haven https://hdrihaven.com/. He made a patreon page and the files are on a google drive, which is easy to sync as updates come.

That is exactly what I was going for, with the exception of HDRs maps being replaced with project assets.
I appreciate your help!

also look @ chocofur models site
& another interesting initiative since only diffuse/albedo textures are not enough to digitally reproduce/represent surfaces (for quite some time already): http://www.textures.struffelproductions.com/home

heres the BIG QUESTION:

What license? free of charge or free of use?

It would be CC0

I really do not mean it offensively. I mean that a new user showing up talking about starting a service that already exsists and asking for donations with what can only be perceived as not enough wisdom or longevity in the community based on number of posts…I was merely pointing out how it looks to many of the people here…maybe some people have better tact than I, but not telling people what REALLY is, is even worse…setting them up for failure.

‘what a dumb statement’…you though, seem to be looking for someone to start an argument with…I still stand by my statement.

How the hell am I showing up? If I linked my shop maybe I would, but how the hell am I showing up? Donations would not be required, I would just be sharing my 100 work hours for free and eventually if you enjoyed it I would survive by generosity instead of sales.

How does one post count says about his/hers experience and work quality? What do you think is the point of this thread?

It is to figure out wether or not people would use this, if I would put time and effort into this, a possibility. And certainly your ignorant comments do nothing more than demoralize me and put you in a pedestal.

edit: I did write down your criticism and your realism in the previous reply, please don’t bother replying or starting an argument anymore.

His point and your response are about all people need to decide if they are interested in your services. There’s no link in your signature that would allow us to take a look at your work so the only reasonable alternative when considering whether or not we should encourage you to go down this road is to look at how active you are on this site.

Nicely pointed. That was a bad reply and I lost it at misunderstanding showing up with showing off.
I acknowledge my lack of decent communication previously has brought a distorted idea of what I am presenting to many.

To clarify for everyone. Imagine going to a 3D Store and clicking at a product you like. By buying it you get the PBR Textures, the blender file (perhaps, most of the time), and all the other 3D formats. That’s what I’d be doing. Literally taking away products I sell (archtectual, homehold, vehicles, etc) and making them available for everyone, getting financial help not in sales, but from satisfied, totally optional donations, just like HDRiHaven shown by bliblubli.

I won’t be linking my store so I am not promoting myself, but you could expect to have available what you can buy at a 3D Store, the exact kind of product, as I said with prices ranging from 6$ to 33$, for now.

I think you should start a poll and see what people think and decide based on this, it would not demoralize you that much :wink: For myself i like the idea very much, but to be honest i wouldn’t donate. And i think it’s important to show some examples for people to make a decision. From my experienence (not much to be honest :wink: ) it takes some time, very good social media skills ( best if you have already built a community of people somehow behind you on instagramm,twitter,youtube, facebook, clients etc) and very good webdesign skills. Without a community you will earn maybe 100 bucks a month if you really push it, but with around ten to twenty tousand people it could earn you enough money with a good design.