How to make a realistic landscape?

Hello. Recently i do this:

But as you can see, the border between the asphalt and the ground is very sharp and unrealistic. I have no idea how to implement the trees, rocks and bushes around the road in such a way as to make it look realistic. So let’s say I’m here:

And I would like to do like this:

Any suggestions? Tutorials? I’m interested in the animation, so what I have to do is not just for a “one shot”, but to look good from any angle and not to have a terrible impact on performance.

Hello Nuclear
Waiting for the Big to show I give you my2c
You’re making questions covering a pretty wide ground so it’s difficult to answer
As regard the materials you may follow many directions
An easy way could be to make a single texture with grass, asphalt ecc with an image editing software (or directly in blender)
Or you may want to investigate how to apply multiple material to the same object using alpha channel to establish which parts are visible (plenty of tutorial)
The use of alpha channels is also useful for adding other elements to the scene especially if you want to avoid modeling all the elements and you want to keep a manageable scene. (youtube - blender alpha)
Depending on the movements of your camera you may have to model your objects or you can use image mapped planes (with alpha for transparency)

Another realm of investigation is bump and normal mapping (youtube - blender bump map - blender normal map)
This will help your scene look less flat adding details without crippling your system with millions of faces

this is the appetizer :smiley:

Well, could vertex painting help you at least with getting the edges diffuse and jagged?

Of course this doesn’t help you when you do animation and you really want the surface to seem 3d. I think then you have to add true geometry.

Here is something I mocked up in 5 minutes (excl the groups which are part of my normal startup - they might be buggy though), and would probably be where I’d start attacking this. It’s procedural and gradually changes from one material into the other, but with a full either/or approach rather than a gradient (adjusting the BrightContrast nodes allows some control, could even be noised if you want).

The min and max values define where on the V texture axis you want the transition to happen. Obviously these could also be noised up. As I said, it’s only a quick start on how I would approach it. Geometry is also important.

Thank you for your answers!

Now I have a problem with a depth of field effect. I use a nodes as shown here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Tutorials/Composite_Nodes/Setups/Depth_Of_Field

I played with the numbers, but I do not get what I want. It looks like it focuses on a particular object, and it is blurred in front of and behind it. I only want to blur the background, like this:

I.e. to apply a defocus from a certain distance z relative to the camera.
I use Blender internal render. Any ideas?

I think blender’s camera works like a real camera, so you can’t have defocus just behind the area and not in front if you use a large aperture.

You should probably use two render layers; The first one with the objects in focus and a second one with the scene that you want out of focus. Then in compositing, defocus the second renderlayer and combine the images.