State of the Blender Game Dev Community

I have been away from the forum for a few years and would like to get back it touch, can you please update me.

1. What are the best BGE games currently being developed?
  2. What are the best BGE games ever made?
  3. What is the hot new thing everyone is trying to make these days?
  4. What is holding todays developers back from making the game they want to make?
  5. Do we have any teams actively making games?
  6. Is there a repository of resources from failed projects to study from?
  7. Are there people interested in making small simple games?
  8. Are there people willing to buy small simple Blender games to support the developers ?

Thanks for your time, I hope we can start a conversation with this.

Developed games i am waiting to be finished:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?438356-TJ3-the-last-one-I-promise-)

And here is abandoned RPG project. Everyone can learn from it, lot of fancy things are made there:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?238628-2-68-RPG-Game-Setup

Too bad that many interesting BGE projects are abandoned or freezed, people should unite their efforts to make complex games. Itā€™s very difficult task for one man to finish really complex game. Unfortunately everyone preffer working on themselves risking never finish their games.

Tomato Jones 3 looks great, BGE is perfectly capable of handling that kind of games. I love the style and the game looks really fun. Why is haidme saying its the last one?
Mechanic 8230 looks promising, great art style and lots of character. Canā€™t wait to see more.
Myrlea reminds me of Krum, I hope he continues making it.
Dongo Adventure reminds me of old SNES and PS1 games I used to play, when does it hit steam?

The RPG Project looks like something I would enjoy making, making pieces and systems for games is fun. One down side is that its never perfect or finished.

Many projects get abandoned and many people lose interest and Iā€™m the same way. My problem is usually that I donā€™t define the scope of the game before starting and donā€™t keep track of the progress. After some time it starts feeling like it will never be done and nobody will play it.

To be honest I am very new to BGE. And donā€™t know much about this game engine, tho i donā€™t know much about any other game engines out there.
I used to be kinda 3d modeller helping one guy to create mod for Men of War game series (ww2 tactic game), it was (is) Star Wars (Rising of an Empire) mod. And if you ask me it was really hard work to create all needed models, animations, shaders etc. All assets we had to create from scratch. And in one moment i did lost interest to that project. But my friend didnā€™t. And now this project is growed up from small mode to really complex game. He is working on this project already few years, i wonder how he can stay motivated and keep on hard work on such huge project.

Even one man can make big project if he is motivated enough. :slight_smile:

Manic Mack is just wrapping up code assets
we already have character assets and combat mechanics
controller input map screen, moving on to modular game asset production and refining combat /etc.

After we finish Manic Mack ,
I intend to gear up on Wrectified.

Making a whole game is a huge challenge. It is not about only great models, textures, animations, GLSLā€¦it is also about complete interface system, interface dialogues, save/load system, optimization ATI/NVIDIA (huge problem) ā€¦etc.

Interface itself is maybe the half of game development of the whole game. It is really hard and important and should not be underestimated.

ā€¦and thenā€¦marketing! :wink:

Very interesting thread.

I used to create lots of games in the BGE, but now I switched over to Unreal Engine to pursue a much bigger project.
The biggest problem of BGE compared to UE4 in my opinion the scalability of the engine. The bge is great for small scale demos or prototypes and you can make stuff look pretty in it if you invest some time.
But trying to work on a big project with other people involved is next to impossible with it.

See the thing about having a team that most people donĀ“t understand is that 2 times the people doesnĀ“t mean you get 2 times the work done. Working in a team comes with a lot of managment and production stuff that most people are unaware of.
Your project has to be well structured and every member of the team has to be introduced to the project, the way it works, etc.

Doing this in any engine is hard and requires a solid Plan (and a Game Design Document) and a good understand of game development in general.

These are some of the reasons why I made the switch from BGE, as I want to create more serious games and I feel like Unreal allows me to achieve this goal more easily. Looking back I donĀ“t regret the switch a single bit.

Please donĀ“t get me wrong though, the BGE is still a fun engine to work in and I love to come back to the BGMCs and join those. The community is very small and I think that makes it feel more like a family which I really appreciate :slight_smile:
IĀ“m looking forward to what people will do with this engine in the future.

IĀ“d also like to add that the games I made during the BGMCs are the only ones I ever officially finished thus far, and they are the games IĀ“m super proud of. I can only encourage everyone to join the BGMCs, maybe form a small team and create a couple of small games during those jams.

you need a in game map editor and multiplayer and the ability to house a instance asset server to push libload to. (terrain and game object instances should really be seperate entities)

(like wrectified editor will be when finished)

Aye some good stuff in this thread.

4. What is holding todays developers back from making the game they want to make?
For me: Definitely motivation. Sort of. Like others Iā€™ve moved on to greener pastures, but still keep an eye on bge for nostalgiaā€™s sake.

Thereā€™s this:

ā€¦ although online multiplayer was nuked (despite what the readme says) and each release of UPBGE breaks it in some new way.

Preach. Iā€™ve ranted about this a few times over the years. A person can have a decent team workflow with bgeā€¦ but itā€™s super quirky and needs a lot of external documentation. Unfortunately nobody (myself included) was ever invested enough to actually do anything about it.

My cat and I are making a game.

99% Me
.9% Ton Roosendaal
.1% Misc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTGJToiINUkzyo1hANL0KQ

1. Do we have any teams actively making games?

I am working at a company developing, well, not-quite-games in the BGE. It looks like weā€™ll be releasing two products for limited testing in the next month or two (not to the game sector though).

You may also be interested in this talk from the 2017 blender conference:

Turns out that BGE was used for doing real-time animations for a cycling event. Oh, and they fell into the ā€œbpy in the game engineā€ trapā€¦

So yeah, BGE is getting used commercially in a few odd places.

What is holding todays developers back from making the game they want to make?

In my case, now that Iā€™m using BGE for work, I tend not to do a lot of hobby projects in it - though I do still take part in BGMCā€™s. In fact, Iā€™ve kind-of drifted away from game making entirely, and prefer to work on:

• board games
  • woodworking
  • theorizing about general-purpose AI (and occasionally writing a bit of code)
  • computer-based-music
  • walking in the nearby forest
    That said, I scribble down new game ideas every week or two, and one day (probably never) Iā€™ll get around to building them.

Scalability with BGE is a problem. But it is with almost any game engine.
To work up all the assets, code and misc that you need for a big project can take hundred or even thousands of hours of manpower. Once you start getting in to a game like that you need a specialized team, with each person committed to working on a limited scope. Everything needs to be broken down in to jobs and assigned. Modeling all the character might be one job. It could be 0.5 of a job leaving someone able to do that plus one other task. The key problem with a game like that is the longer it goes on for, the less chance of it getting finished. 6 weeks is a viable time limit. 6 years is not.

TBH Iā€™m not really interested in getting involved with a project of that level of complexity. I donā€™t really want to work on a big team right now, because things can happen in my life that can leave me unable to work on games for weeks or months at a time. I donā€™t want to leave a team hanging because something more important in real life came up.

So for me BGE is ideal. I can work on smaller, personal projects, and actually the limitations of the engine are a good thing. It stops me from getting carried away and forces me to work on something small and manageable.

Iā€™ve also been learning Javascript and pixiJS with the aim of making some mobile games at some point in the future, but I havenā€™t made much progress there outside of converting an old game for the web and following some simple tutorials.

Good points. Although lastly Iā€™ve been collaborating with a friend on some game idea/prototype, and the general mindset was ā€œlets add features by features, make an iteration as a set of features, once an iteration is roughly done refactor it as smooth as possible feature by feature again. repeat.ā€ So far we invested 2 or 3 weeks into the first iteration, and already had a lot of fun. The goal is to keep this going until bored I guess. But the point is that the projectā€™s finality might be a bit big, but I think one just has to put aside its vision of the finished game, because it can make you lose focus from your current progress and maybe demotivate.

Also my bit on motivation: donā€™t expect to work with motivation. Learn to not always need it. Mine is rarely present for anything, if people get discouraged too, just learn how to work despite that. ā€œBest way for something to not happen is to stop trying.ā€

Point is: A ā€œcomplexā€ project is entirely doable, you just need to forget about your goal (for some time) while making your way up to it, and know that single atomic elements of a game can take up to months to develop. But its fine, thatā€™s the way it is.

1. What are the best BGE games currently being developed?
  2. What are the best BGE games ever made?
  3. What is the hot new thing everyone is trying to make these days?
  5. Do we have any teams actively making games?
  7. Are there people interested in making small simple games?
  8. Are there people willing to buy small simple Blender games to support the developers ?
  1. Dunno
  2. You can take a look through the forums and the BGMC threads (small game contest, some really nice games)
  3. Depends on the projects. BGE devs are onto the EEVEE renderer ? Iā€™m writing a framework for the BGE.
  4. Experience. Also logic bricks help introducing beginners, but they later need way to much skill to be used productively, unlike other visual programming approaches (UE4 proper nodes called ā€œBlueprintsā€, which is sad because I think only one person tried using the Blenderā€™s node system to make better logic nodes, but the project was abandonned).
  5. Some people are pretty active, donā€™t know about a team.
  6. There sure is a lot of threads to pick up from (WIP section maybe ?)
  7. I think by the nature of the BGE its the natural scope of game people would want to make.
  8. Only a very few people have made commercially available games, because again making a game using the BGE is really hard. The tools proposed by the engine are great, but it requires a real lot of exeprience to be able to manage any kind of medium/big projects. Hence my attempt at leveraging this issue with a framework, where you would try to focus on the game and not how to manage/execute its features, thus increasing productivity. At least I hope.

My opinion on the BGE is that its still a WIP engine, even though the work on it decreased dramatically the last few years, only to be continued by the UPBGE devs (BGE fork). But even them are losing steam from what I heard ? Hard times. People on these forums tryed their very best to use it as a game engine, while most of the work needed would have been to actually work on improving the engine, either with a Python overlay or by trying some things in the C++ (if you start feeling like you want to actually change the sources).

If you intend on working on the BGE, well its great because you will get to see a lot of problems that got fixed in some way or another in other game engines. Except that on the BGE you have to actually deal with it. Its good for experience, but very time consumming. If your focus is to actually make a game, then go for some other engine. If you intend to be part of the work on the BGE, then donā€™t expect realising your game until a lot of time, because chances are you will have to adress a lot of problems not already managed by the engine before being able to properly think about your game.

Actually making a game is only part of the job. Thereā€™s still marketing, distribution, post telease support and so on.
Even if you finish a big game thereā€™s no guarantee that you will sell evdn one copy of it.
The industry has changed a lot in thd last 10 years so you wonā€™t get rich from the next flappy bird today.
There are people in Asia working on games for 5 dollars an hour. They expect to finish and publish up to 2 games a month. Thatā€™s the kind of marketplace you can find yourself competing in if you want to become a full time games developer.
You need something to stand out from the shovelware thatā€™s constantly being put out there.

Myrlea is still being worked onā€¦I just have some medical issues that need to be attended to so every week or two I am out of it for a few daysā€¦and my job decided to throw me on night shift for one weekā€¦making the transition back and forth + medication and hospitals has slowed down my progress over the last month greatlyā€¦near zilch, but I am still at itā€¦I am looking at the dev doc now, matter of fact,ā€¦still lots to do.

Itā€™s definitely an interesting time though BGE is in a somewhat weary state of transitionā€¦on one hand there is no clear plan on updating it in 2.8ā€¦it is supposed to be updated, but no clear plan yet. This makes many people feel uneasy about itā€™s futureā€¦
OTOH UPBGE still seems to be moving forward and that gives us some hopeā€¦I have moved completely to it and am no longer updating the ā€˜buildā€™ for BGE and only focusing on UPBGE at this point.

So if I understand correctly, all BGE games that start development today should instead use UPBGE?

i,m working on my zombie fps game but have problems with ragdoll dead. anybody help me yet with spawn ragd doll.i have create skinned ragdoll

but cant spawn yet.

:frowning:

here my 2nd update ragdoll solution not implemented yeet please help me if you know how using Blender 2.79

Well, there is Ecclesia
I will be posting updates to that thread soon.

Attachments

1 Like

Love it. Do you create Ecclesia with logic bricks or Python?

I am working on a universal game planet generator and editor
Had to take a break over the summer
also made a texture baker using render to texture just recently for optimizing the lil ā€™ planets.

Going to make Wrectified and then move onto B_Pecs using a tacotron 2 based speech synthesizer in UPBGE on a ATOM x64 tablet.