What can I do to improve my sculpting skills?

I am trying to learn how to sculpt organic models like humans and creatures. All of my experience has been focused on hard surface modeling or box modeling and animations for games. I feel like I have mastered that aspect but when it comes to sculpting its like I just started learning 3d all over again! What can I do to improve my sculpting skills?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512638[/ATTACH]

EDIT Well… Maybe I’m just crazy but I completely changed my approach to sculpting using lorembolo’s suggestions, as well as did some studying on human head anatomy and I came up with a much more satisfactory result. Way better then I expected and this is the first real head I’ve ever done! I also used ZbrushCore instead of blender this time because it works better with my tablet. Blender’s tools are very similar but since I have zbrush I figured why the hell not.

Well, you really should consider starting with less subdivisions.
Once you get the shapes with a light model, increase the subdiv.

This sculpt has really too much details, while the main shapes are not defined. It looks like some blob something.
Kepp it up, it’s really challenging to make simple.

Happy blending.

You might want to use dynamic topology too, so that you dont have to actually worry about subdivisions right now. Reference pictures are always very helpful, I also like to watch other people sculpt in blender, or zbrush, or real clay or anything, just to get an idea for their process. Just be very intent and studious. You might find drawing something first with a pencil will help you understand its form better before you start sculpting it.

The model was a multi-res base mesh. I had a very hard time defining features so I just flattened the face and kept the multi-res to render it. That’s about as good as my sculpting skills get right now though lol. I like your suggestion to start large and refine smaller details later. Sounds just like digital painting in something like krita.

The model was a multi-res base mesh. I had a very hard time defining features so I just flattened the face and kept the multi-res to render it. That’s about as good as my sculpting skills are right now though lol. I like your suggestion to start large and refine smaller details later. Sounds just like digital painting in something like krita.

Join the blender cloud and go through the Creature Factory workshop:

I have been going through those and I have learned a ton. I have just finished up the sculpting phase, and now get to learn how to bake those details onto a lower resolution mesh.

Plus you get to support blender!

I can probably make good use of the grease pencil for this. I could also do the line air/ concept in krita.

Well… Maybe I’m just crazy but I completely changed my approach to sculpting using lorembolo’s suggestions, as well as studying the human head anatomy and I came up with a much more satisfactory result. No reference used, I just cranked this out today! Way better then I expected and this is the first organic/ human model I’ve ever done! I also used ZbrushCore instead of blender this time because it works better with my tablet. Blender’s tools are very similar but since I have zbrush I figured why the hell not.