Best way to rig a face for posing only?

I’ve got a head I’m working on at the moment and I’ve kept it symmetrical for a change with the thought that if I do that I’ll have more options for expressions down the line. I’m also thinking I might be able to fix my proportions (it’s a likeness) and there’s a couple of parts that need some tidying up. Maybe I’m better off just resculpting?

So anyway, I have it in the back of my head that I read somewhere the approaches to rigging a face are different for animation and for posing? Let me be clear - I’ve totally no interest in animation so if that means I can save a bunch of work then all the better. If it means a totally different approach to rigging (all the tutorials I can find go into great detail about animation) then I’d like to know about it before I waste any time with the wrong sort of rig?

I’ve just been made aware of mesh deform cages and already I can see how this could be useful on it’s own. Do I really need bones along with this if all I’m going for is a static pose?

You can use Shapekeys, if all you want to do is pose the model. Personally I would always use Bones with corrective Shapekeys, whether I am just posing the model, or animating it as well.

Cheers, Clock.