Help with debugging Error: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION during dynamic paint please

Hi,

I’m working my way through a CG Geek tutorial: Create a Beautiful Animated Creek for the 2nd time, and striking the same issue.

During baking dynamic paint, blender crashes with the above error. There is no error log produced in the project directory and no paintmap image files are created. The baking progress bar starts at 2% and after a while crashes to deskop without progressing further.

I get the same error on two PCs I’ve tried it on (i5 760, 16GB, Win7-64bit, Geforce 760 and a newer i5 7500, 16GB, Win 10, Geforce GTX1060 6GB). Both machines are running the latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia Geforce Experience with Blender 2.79.

To get past this issue the first time I tried reducing settings, and can get both machines to bake this dynamic paint if I reduce the paintmap resolution to 128 rather than the 1024 specified in the tutorial, remove Sub-Steps and turn off Anti-aliasing. But the result is not of sufficient resolution and the final result suffers.

I have also tried the environment fix set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=NONE from this old post on developer.blender.org without success.

I’m hoping there’s a way to get some insight into what’s behind the error. I’m currently using the command line

blender "D:\Documents\Blender\Creek2\creek.blend" --debug-all --verbose 2

to launch but this is not resulting in any addition information at the time of the crash, aside from the error.

Is there any advice you can suggest for debugging this error?

Thanks in advance, Geoff

For more information here are screen grabs of the message traffic right up to the point of the crash to desktop.
Both machines appear to get to the same point.

1. the newer pc with 1060

2. the older PC with the 760

EDIT: I realized this was not a fix after all. The problem for me seemed to be in the UV mapping.

Hey,

Do you have the canvas and the brush on the same layer?

I am really not sure if this helps because you were following a tutorial, so this shouldn’t be the case, but I have been playing around with the dynamic paint as well and got the exact same error when I tried to bake the paint into textures. The bar goes to 2% and the CPU is at 100% for 30 seconds or so and then it crashes. When I moved the canvas and brush to the same layer everything worked just fine.

Hope you find a solution. :slight_smile:

Dynamic paint on complex UV map and mesh geometry crashes blender. It happens to me many times, Hopefully blender foundation will get it fixed.

dynamic paint in 2.78 works. 2.79 probably broke dynamic paint.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to seeing if I can go back to that scene in 2.80 and have it work. I’ll report to this thread what I find (or you may hear my chearing from where you are!).