Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To complete the short tutorial a mention of 3DEM. About 15 years old and no longer supported. However still seems to work OK and can do quite a lot. Aerial views can also be made as the map moves across the screen. Once you download the srtm2 satellite data and extract the .hgt file it open the height maps and shows the terrain exactly as it is in 3D. It is available from a few sites still and a quick search should find it to download. Any part of the dem map can be made. Heights can be coloured in any colours which merge one into another.

The texture can be exported to use an overlay when the terrain mesh is made. The size, height and coordinates can be obtained from the DEM map.

The co-ordinates are all that is required together with the srtm2/.hgt fle and read by the script in Blender which creates the mesh. If the script becomes unavailable you can still export as a grey scale map and route generated with the displace function. IF REQUESTED I can expand the details how to use it. There are instructions with it.

Barry
    Last edited by barrymaritime; 05-Feb-18 at 18:09.

I mentioned that you can make routes of any part of the world. Maybe most parts might be more accurate. It only takes a few minutes to obtain the area required. The world is split up into areas and there is Eurasia, Usa, South America, Australia etc.

I am using Eurasia for the uk but had a quick look at the Caribbean and downloaded a section.
    IF you open it with 3DEM. Texture it any which way in 3DEM and save texture as tga. also you can export the route as USGS ASCII dem.

There are a few ways to do things. Either obtain the the co-ordinates using open street map or 3DEM, then download the relevant srtm2 section. open and drag out the hgt file and use the script for either method.

There is a quick start guide and a map of the world you could use as a help. However all very simple to use and to make a full basic terrain mesh only takes me say half an hour. Then copy and paste water and roaming camera into each route.
    Same with ships/boats when made.

B
    Last edited by barrymaritime; 06-Feb-18 at 12:29.

Tried the greyscale method to remind myself as good few years since used. Flat plane subdivideD 8 times I think makes about 66,000 vertices. You can use function... images as planes as size not important and it is 1 meter plane with 66000 vertices with the greyscale texture already on. . When mesh generated set the max height and the size of area in Blender. This test was 20,250 meters square. height 884 meters. If you make a second colour texture in 3dem you can then replace the greyscale with colour terrain texture and make it same name. Later you could use photographic textures, etc.

It might be possible to make a range oF greyscale routes of various part of the world and put images online and forum menbers could then generate their own routes using the displace function. So a library of routes? All you then need to do is place the base and water area of route on zero x line. I used to have several the greyscale maps on my domain site for download.

B.
    Last edited by barrymaritime; 06-Feb-18 at 13:41.

i have used grayscale tif height map data and i think it works good. the important thing is to remember that they are 16bit high depth, and only a few image editors support it.

krita is the one i use for this. but i try to avoid editing, and just uv map it.

setting the height texture as a bump map is a great way to get details with a low poly terrain.
    System "IVAN" (rev 2.0) - Win7 64bit - Blender 2.74:
    Intel i7-3770 3.90 Ghz | EVGA GTX 970 | GSkill Ares 16GB 1600 Mhz | ASUS P8Z77-V LK
    Where my Code Lives - https://github.com/DaedalusMDW

Originally Posted by Daedalus_MDW View Post
    i have used grayscale tif height map data and i think it works good. the important thing is to remember that they are 16bit high depth, and only a few image editors support it.

krita is the one i use for this. but i try to avoid editing, and just uv map it.

setting the height texture as a bump map is a great way to get details with a low poly terrain.
    ------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info and useful to refer to.
    At present the srtm2 data works fine just drag hgt file out of zip. Then Blender....../File/Import/Srtm.
    You only need the co-ordinates. Use OpenStreetMap or download 3DEM about 4 meg. Still works but 15 years old or so?
    However it depends on the Blender scriipt remaining available and that is were the alternative info might come in useful at a later date.

Never heard of Krita but will look into that one.

See bottom paragraph and link to page. River Mersey my area hgt files N53W003 - N53W004. USA and most of the world files can be downloaded.

https://www.openstreetmap.org

https://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/

.....B
    Last edited by barrymaritime; 08-Feb-18 at 16:23.

Blender Artists forums I consider unsuitable for the discussion of simulations, especially maritime.
    You can contact me on the UKTS . UKtrain simulator forums, either Blender or ship simultor section 'precar'. However my thanks to the few people who did offer constructive relevant help. It is not worthwhile, and a waste of my time for me to post further here.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/

B
    Last edited by barrymaritime; 13-Feb-18 at 11:32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12