Graph Editor - how to move root bone keyframes along world axis?

Hello,

In the Graph Editor, I select one Location component of my root bone keyframes, let’s say Location Z.
I press G -> Y in the Graph Editor window to move it. My problem is that it seems to be moving along its local axis, but rather I want to move it along the global axis.

I have a workaround, but there must be an easier way:
I go to Edit Mode and set the root bone’s Head.X =0, Head.Y =0; Tail.X = 0, Tail.Y = 0, and then move the keyframes, then they do move along the global Z axis, because the bone is aligned with the global axis.

Thank you, for your help.

Hey, The ‘graph’ editor is just the main animation editor, for Actions the X-axis represents time, the Y-axis represents the value to set the property, there is no local or global. You animate an action in the 3D window then adjust/modify in the ‘graph’ editor.

Ok, then I guess it is just a bad idea that my root bone’s rest position is not aligned with the Z global axis.

So should I add a new dummy bone before the current root bone, and make this dummy the root bone? This bone would not do anything but make positioning the whole rig easier (because it is aligned with the Z axis). I saw this done somewhere, I wonder if I can do it now that I already have animations?

Ok, then I guess it is just a bad idea that my root bone’s rest position is not aligned with the Z global axis.

No, not really - bones use local space. The ‘Root’ bone is usually the ‘main’ bone that everything is parented to - say like a character. check out DanPro’s youYube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dantreige/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd