Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FLIP Fluids Addon (Beta): A liquid fluid simulation tool for Blender

Hello, this is Ryan, programmer of the FLIP Fluids addon!

The FLIP Fluids addon is a powerful liquid simulation tool that gives you the ability to create high quality fluid effects all within Blender. Created by Ryan Guy (myself) and Dennis Fassbaender (@dafassi).

A CALL FOR BETA TESTERS

The core fluid engine, a FLIP-based fluid solver, has been under development for over three years with over a year of development focused on tightly integrating the simulator into Blender as an addon. We are excited to announce that the FLIP Fluids simulator is now ready to enter a beta testing phase! Instructions on how to request a beta invite are located at the bottom of this post. The beta will begin on February 13th.

KEY FEATURES

High Performance

The core fluid engine, written in C++, is designed for running high performance computations and massive physics calculations efficiently. Multithreaded and able to leverage the power of your GPU, this simulator is optimized for speed.
    Whitewater Generation

Create awesome large scale fluid effects with the whitewater simulator. Generate and simulate millions of foam, bubble, and spray particles to give a sense of realism to large bodies of water.

Animations:

Viscosity Solver

Use the high quality viscosity solver to accurately simulate thin silky-smooth liquids, thick fluids that buckle and coil, and anything in between.

Animations:

Built-in Mesh Generation

The built-in mesher generates highly detailed meshes so that your fluid surface is render-ready immediately after simulation. This mesh generator is memory efficient and able to produce meshes containing millions of triangles without requiring massive amounts of RAM.
    Fracture Modifier Support

Create interesting destruction simulations by using the FLIP Fluids addon with the Blender Fracture Modifier branch. The fluid engine is optimized to support fractured objects that may contain hundreds to thousands of individual pieces.

Animations:

Excellent User Experience

The addon interface was designed with a focus on functionality and usability to create a comfortable workflow.

• View simulation progress, meshes, and statistics in real-time
    • Pause and resume simulation baking- even after a Blender crash
    • Create and manage your own preset settings
    • Quickly apply materials from the fluid material library

Want to become a participant of the FLIP Fluids beta? Here's how to apply:

Beta testers will require a valid email address, a GitHub account, access to a computer running a Windows operating system, and an installation of Blender 2.79 (64-bit). Support for other operating systems will be added at a later date.

To request a beta invite, simply post in this thread, send me a private message, or send an email to flip.fluids.beta [at] gmail.com with 'FLIP Fluids Beta Application' as the subject line. Please include the following information to apply:

• Email Address
    • GitHub Username
    • Operating System
    • CPU Model
    • GPU/Chip Model
    • RAM Size (GB)

Feel free to include any comments, questions, concerns, or just tell us about yourself!

Only a limited number of testing slots are available. The first wave of beta invites will be delivered through email on February 13th. If you do not receive an invite for the first wave, don't worry, there's still a chance that you will receive an invite at a later date.

Project Links

GitHub Project Page
    Beta Information and Resources
    User Documentation
    Facebook Page
    Last edited by RLGUY; 04-Feb-18 at 13:20.

Thank you Ryan Guy and Dennis Fassbaender ! One if not THE most long-awaited plugin for Blender !

Can't wait to use it

I've been looking forward for this since I saw some video on twitter, it looks very promising! Last month I had to do some fluidsim. I tried using manta flow, but I ended up using houdini. It's a shame I couldn't try this back then! I am thinking to apply for the beta, but I wanna make sure I can give a fair amount of time to this, and time is always scarce! However thank you for the work, it looks very good!
    Blender Cycles: Lighting and Rendering Cookbook - http://www.packtpub.com/blender-cycl...-cookbook/book
    ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/bernardo

Thanks Bernardo, we have been looking forward to this also! We would have liked to have begun the beta earlier, but wanted to get the addon polished to a high standard before releasing it upon testers. Hope you're able to find some time!

This looks great. Count me in, I'll be sending you an email with my info. Will there be gaseous support in the future?
    Last edited by thomascheng; 04-Feb-18 at 19:26.

Thanks Thomas, we have received your info! At the moment, we're focusing strictly on fluid simulation effects, but in the future, maybe we'll be able to expand to gas/smoke/fire. For now, the Blender Mantaflow branch may be a good solution for FLIP based gas effects.

Originally Posted by RLGUY View Post
    Thanks Thomas, we have received your info! At the moment, we're focusing strictly on fluid simulation effects, but in the future, maybe we'll be able to expand to gas/smoke/fire. For now, the Blender Mantaflow branch may be a good solution for FLIP based gas effects.
    I think I may not be alone in wondering how your addon or solution compares to Mantaflow?
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art EnergyXT for Music Blender for 3D

I could do some comparisons. Seeing the simulation speed and stability will be most interesting i think? A big difference is our Workflow. On one hand our addon is as well integrated as the internal fluidsim. On the other hand we use some tricks like layering objects or hiding them like known from the fracture modifier's helpers addon for example.

Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I think I may not be alone in wondering how your addon or solution compares to Mantaflow?
    I have spent much more time using this simulator than I have spent trying out Mantaflow, so I am not able to give an accurate/unbiased comparison for FLIP Fluids Addon vs Blender Mantaflow. Once testing begins, other users may be able to make fair comparisons.

Both this addon and Mantaflow are based on the FLIP method. I believe we both even use the same method of simulation for foam/bubble/spray particles. What will be the difference is how we each implement the simulation methods, what features we have chosen to include in our respective simulation programs, how we decided to layout our user interfaces, etc.

is it going to be a paid addon ?

and can you have objects as obstacles ?
    I mean like boat or other objects

thanks
    happy bl
    Nice 3D models = 25 % K.I.S.S + 25 % common sense + 25 % Inspiration + 25 % Knowledge
    Win 10 64 bits / Thanks and a Happy 2.79 with Cycles

This addon will be a commercial product sold on the BlenderMarket. We do not have a set price at the moment. Our goal is to provide a high quality fluid simulation solution at a price that will be affordable to beginners and hobbyists.

Scripted obstacles are supported. This means that the object's movement is able to affect the fluid, but there is no support for the fluid to be able to 'push back' on the object. This is also known as 'one-way' coupling.

Types of animated objects that are supported:
    • keyframed positions/scale/rotation
    • animated, such as parenting and armatures
    • both rigid and deformable objects
    • fractured objects with the Fracture Modifier

There are two main restrictions for objects to work well with the simulator:
    1. Objects must be manifold. This means that the mesh has a clearly defined inside and outside. Every edge must be connect to exactly two faces.
    2. Animated meshes must not change topology. This means that every frame in the animation must have the same vertices and triangles.
    Last edited by RLGUY; 04-Feb-18 at 20:29.

I'd love to help test this! The current fluid tools in Blender right now feel very limiting to me, and this looks amazing!

Is FLIP only used for large-scale fluid sims, like oceans, lakes, bursting dams, or can it be used for smaller things as well, like spilled glasses, drips, or puddles and things like that?

This simulator works well for large-scale bodies of water, especially in combination with the whitewater feature. The viscosity solver works very well when used for small-scale effects where the liquid buckles/coils.

The simulator has some trouble replicating small scale water (non-viscous) effects, suh as crown splashes, due to the lack of surface tension forces. Surface tension forces are one of the features we would like to add in the future so that small scale water effects can be achieved.

Fantastic presentation! I love seeing add-ons for Blender that rival the quality of commercial addons for Maya and 3DS. Sign me up!
    Long time 3D artist and member of the official Cycles Artists Module
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!
    Follow me on Twitter: @mattheimlich or on my blog

Would it make simulation of oceans?

Originally Posted by DcVertice View Post
    Would it make simulation of oceans?
    Usually oceans, especially infinite oceans, are made with displacement maps, not fluids, but in advanced setup you can mix fluids and displacement oceans!
    2D/3D animator and concept artist from Montreal, Canada
    Mad Steam Studio

Originally Posted by GCharb View Post
    Usually oceans, especially infinite oceans, are made with displacement maps, not fluids, but in advanced setup you can mix fluids and displacement oceans!
    When you want to make ocean segments to interact you need something more than displacements, you need water with movement, ways to simulate waves

This is great, and I'm sure will be well worth the cost. Good job guys!

Are really GPus supported? How much faster are the calculations then?
    In the end, only blender will surrender
    i7 4770 - 2x GTX 780 ti- 32GB

Ohhh man, this is the future! I will spend my time waiting this

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast