Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Need help with doors!

    Hey,

    This is an old piece I found and started up again. It's a futuristic grungy police interceptor called a "Pitbull"

    Not finished modeling by any means but I'm really stuck on the doors. As you can see from the first few pics the door holes are a bit unique. I've put some stand in doors on but i don't like the way they look. Anyone got any ideas for me?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarter_front.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	514152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarter_rear.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	514153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	514154



  2. #2
    Here's the side with the temp doors in place

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with_doors.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	514155



  3. #3
    Member clockmender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    2,636
    It seems like you are not carrying the contours of the body through to the doors to me. Really I need to see the blend file to be sure of this, but that is my first impression, if that help at all. I guess you may need to rework the areas where the doors meet the body so you have a flow rather than what looks like contours into flat surfaces. Also I think the doors need to be further away from the bottom and top of the vehicle - there doesn't seem to be enough material to get a rigid body design as it is. Take a look at the typical skirts/roof line on a car this may help get the proportions looking more realistic.

    Cheers, Clock.
    K.I.S.S - a good maxim I think, and Granddads know best!
    "You are completely bonkers." - @Gumboots
    Youtube Channel Website Still rebuilding this, but it is started at last



  4. #4
    Yes that makes a lot of sense thank you. Might shoot you the blend file when i get home if you like.



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Delhi, IN
    Posts
    35
    The wheel arch in front is not enough bold. Also, let the doors flow along the frame. And if you try to make it a 2 door, it would look better



  6. #6
    Did a little tonight, not sure if you can tell but I managed to make the wheel rims bigger and scaled up the tires a little like I think SK041 was suggesting. I think i will make it a two door as well.

    I'll tackle the sides tomorrow, it's really messy adjusting the subsurfed elements..not looking forward to making the sides 'flow', im really messy.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6218.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	514318



  7. #7
    Re-topologised the body mesh because it was terrible and re-done the doors. Still not 100% happy but a lot better than before.

    The idea is that where the cylinder is, the door pushes out and up, like an 80's lambo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_door.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	514877



  8. #8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitbull_v2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	515237

    Got frustrated and redone the main body. Got rid of the legs at the back and made it one body. Made the doors more sleek as a part of the body too.



  9. #9
    Member clockmender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    2,636
    Can you post a wireframe, I am still concerned about transitions from wheel arch to door. Looks like a bit of a sudden bend there.

    I am a bit ill at the moment (flu) so cannot concentrate for long.... I did like the legs on the back end though, shame you lost them.

    Cheers, Clock.
    K.I.S.S - a good maxim I think, and Granddads know best!
    "You are completely bonkers." - @Gumboots
    Youtube Channel Website Still rebuilding this, but it is started at last



  10. #10
    Hey, lot of flu going around at the moment, get that chicken soup down yer throat

    I haven't completely given up on the legs, they just looked weird from certain angles and as this is for an animation scene it was getting annoying. This next step is just testing still, I'm afraid in an attempt to make the poly-count low i may have gone too low. Here's what I got so far.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wf_front.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	515367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wf_side.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	515368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wf_top.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	515369



  11. #11
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wf_34.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	515370

    And here's a 3/4 shot



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •