What objects are using this material?

So I have this game project I’m working on for fun and it is fun!

My materials are very messy. I have linked materials in from other files, made materials in the main file, named my materials stupid names, “f” saved my materials when I didn’t really want or use them, used materials from several directories.

Now I’m cleaning house. I have all the textures nested in one directory, I have removed some duplicates and named the one’s I like with good names, but I have all these mystery materials and I don’t know what object they are attached to.

Is there a way to figure out which objects a given material is on?

You can use the “search” function in the Outliner. Enter the material name.

be aware, if you use nodes, then materials can “use” itself, preventing them from getting purged. shift-left click on the X to force purge.

Also in the outliner it is possible to choose Blender File as display mode and then go through the materials there. If you rightclick on a material and choose Select Linked it selects the objects that have the material.

You can also check it with python relatively easily:

import bpy

for every_material in bpy.data.materials:
    result = ''
    for every_object in bpy.context.scene.objects:
        for every_slot in every_object.material_slots:
            try:
                if every_material.name == every_slot.name:
                    result += '
   ' + every_object.name
            except:
                pass
    print(every_material.name + ' is assigned to:' + result if result 
          else every_material.name + ' is not used in this scene.')

SUPER SOLVED!

Thanks everyone! I am using all this to clean my materials. Hopefully, I can eek out a performance gain at the same time.

ok little problem.

I have created some buildings and they are in their own files. then I linked these buildings to another file to make cities. Then I linked the city file to the main file to create the world. So… if I have a brick wall material that is used for several buildings, I end up with several materials in the final “world file”.

ie.
building.blend 1 wallmaterial with texture from /texture
building2.blend 1 wallmaterial with the same texture form /texture
city.blend 20 wallmaterial I guess copies of the texture from /texture
world.blend 100 wallmaterial(can’t be good for performance)

I would like to combine these so blender only loads one copy of the material, not several and uses it on all the linked objects. Should I make them local and apply materials to whatever is broken? If I do and start messing with the materials, what will happen to the city and building files? I would like to reserve the right to edit them separately in the future.

I want:
building.blend 1 wallmaterial
city.blend 1 wallmaterial
world.blend 1 wallmaterial

Any sugestions? I think my textures are killing my fps.

Thanks,