PythonOS project

Python logo, from python.org
PythonOS project.

Hi there.

I bring to your attention my interesting idea – the creation of an easy and convenient operating system, based on the Linux kernel and Python – modular, light, and easy.
  • why this topic on the BA forum is written?

• because BGE and Python have something in common (apparently :eyebrowlift2: ), and this is a wonderful move for the BA community (if this started), although another resource is possible.

Why Python, for the code written in this language, constantly at program start it is needful on-line compilation - it takes some time, and there are many other build of OS based on the Linux kernel?:

• first, PythonOS is before it will be the Linux kernel, and in the majority – standard lib (although then it will be possible to leave them if possible). Python – this is the graphical shell itself will be written, with the full autonomy of all the elements (for the beginning) - any person will be able to run, for example, a program menu on Ubuntu, Debian or another Linux operating system. And then it is possible to develop and other software. I personally am willing to sacrifice those 0, 01 - 0.5 sec of my time to a permanent on-line compilation of simple programs, although the shell is loaded only once. And we can also make a game mode – unloading the graphical shell at the start of the game, and after completing game the shell load again.

• secondly – all binary (compiled) files you can not see the code, and this is a security problem. For example, if someone wants to integrate the launch of spy code into a simple audio player with an on-line update of the album and artist database – you will not actually find it (FYI). You can run the file through the debugger, but if the program has a run-timer built-in, you do not find a spy – only super professionals can do it. And the graphical shell itself, if not too complicated, not many lines of the code has (relatively) – in the version of modularity (and autonomy) of the elements. By the idea, each of the elements of the graphic shell (I repeat) can be run on any OS with the Python – menu, panel, file manager, and more. Also in the code can write a description of each line of code, and a link to the help for Python (symbolic), and develop an application in which you will open the base code, and there, in accordance with the description of each line (symbolic), will be expanded the help for Python itself – Python promotion , it’s also good (BGE is always somewhere nearby) …

• thirdly – a modern OS, then from 500 to 800 MB of RAM are constantly busy - I think that this is not quite good – even on an Intel core i7 with 8-16 GB of RAM, there are no superfluous resources. And if think more deeply and add the “mobility” feature (graphical shell - full-screen menu, rotate screen by gyro sensor) – here’s the ARM PythonOS and open prospects in the mobile platform market – saving resources is even more justified.

At the moment, I tested Blender3d (BGE) on Ubuntu and Debian - the highest performance on Ubuntu LXDE (Lubuntu) – but FYI and highly integrated solutions. Even Debian OS + XFCE loses Lubuntu – in Blender3d, the time to switch from displaying the grid to the material or completely loading the scene (relatively big) is much longer than in the Lubuntu environment (it’s not the video card drivers, it seems to me). And I’m learning to develop games on a relatively weak PC (AMD A4 - 4 cores, 2 RAM, video card in the processor – laptop), and learning how to optimize the game, then just add shaders (if available) and a texture of higher resolution and more hi-poly models – for more powerful systems (so you have a pro level of game developer), and maybe a move to the mobile platform. And I will continue to do this, even if a more powerful PC is nearby.

How can PythonOS be designed to be more interesting and productive? - in the opposite direction. From the menu of programs, the panel, the desktop … and to the installer of the OS itself (even if the final project does not happen, everything will benefit from the availability of some ready-made programs). Everything can be run and used (for everyone) on other Linux OSes – if in fact everything is ready, for example on Debian, then the platform (kernel) will change insensibly to the eyes, supporting the basic necessary programs, like Blender3d. And installing PythonOS should be more interesting - loading the original Linux kernel, and through the installer (convenient) its assembly, but not the pre-assembled (or even modified) kernel. Size 150 - 300 MB ISO, 150 - 300 MB RAM – clear OS.

Also, such a system can be put in the basis of another project – the modular ARM desktop PC.

Thank you for your attention.

p.s. - forum administrators, please do not move this topic from the BGE section, because Python may be offended :rolleyes:
    p.s_2 - sorry for the “mechanical” translation fromUkrainian.

…BGE ARM, apparently not so difficult, but so dangerous.

I still do not see how this is BGE related?..and wouldn’t good old ‘C’ still be better? and why another linux distro? I see one major issue we have(linux users) is the user base and development is split up across multiple distros…adding more does not really help the end user…at least this is my opinion. I also do not see what you are trying to do that cannot already be done…and TBH I am more than a little confued by your post…I tried to understand…I understand english is not your native language, but I still got lost.

I still do not see how this is BGE related?

• that’s about it - I love BGE, and if I say that I do not like Python, then I’ll be a liar. I also like the concept of Slitaz…

and wouldn’t good old ‘C’ still be better?

• but I did not say that C is bad, but there are always solutions, such as in Android with Java - especially with cross-platform issues.

and why another linux distro?

I also like simple and easily viewable code - modern distributions are very cumbersome - again an example of that is Slitaz. I also encounter non-resolvable (for me) but very simple problems in fact every distributive… even in the Slitaz.

I see one major issue we have(linux users) is the user base and development is split up across multiple distros

but I see that someone takes you by the nose, and leads to complicated and confusing ways.

.adding more does not really help the end user.

• add more is not necessary, but to improve and make simple, especially for ordinary people - it is necessary.

at least this is my opinion. I also do not see what you are trying to do that cannot already be done

• maybe not finished, but I’ll try to write at least a menu of programs. And if I do not see the future of 100%, I will not write something with confidence.

and TBH I am more than a little confued by your post

• confsued by your post? - many people “confused” a good security for ordinary people.

.I tried to understand…I understand english is not your native language, but I still got lost.

• I’m not sure that the translation is so bad that it does not understand the essence of the matter.

== True or == False? that is the question!

Peace to you.

According to your logic, every project that is using Python would be relevant here. This is clearly wrong and there is no need to even discuss it. This is offtopic and has nothing to do with the game engine and does not belong here.

• may not be the way you wrote…
  • Since I started studying BGE, I actually never visited other sections of this site except one. Those who are in BGE, are mostly involved in Python - in this section the probability of viewing this topic is much greater than in others.

This section is for asking question about the game engine and to discuss the game engine. The content you presented is neither of them and as such it does not belong here.

Wanting attention or people who read about your idea is not a justification to post in the wrong section.

• yes it’s offtopic, but an actual place for easy discussion.

Wanting attention or people who read about your idea is not a justification to post in the wrong section.

• Yes, but only if it is the opinion of all who read it. Maybe someone it will be interesting. And the most interesting - the more the discussion in this section, the more likely that this topic will be read by many - if the topic is not interest, although offtopic, it will be lost with time.
    And if the administrators move the topic to another section, I will not oppose it - this is their right.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

There is an Off-topic section for this kind of discussions where discussions can be just as easy.

People who visit this section are interested in topics related to the game engine. I read your whole post and tried to understand how this is relevant for the game engine. And because it is not related, it is far more likely that you are just wasting the time of people who are interested in the game engine. Sections exist exactly because of that, thanks for understanding.

And if the administrators move the topic to another section, I will not oppose it - this is their right.

• I have nothing more to add.

Moved from “Game Engine > Game Engine Support and Discussion” to “Misc: > Off-topic Chat”

• no problem, man :smiley:

Probably started a little big.
Make it simpler.
I would like this menu on Python, and for Linux:

license:
This program (program_menu_P) will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
So you are free to share, modify and adapt it for your needs, and even use it for commercial use.

and a little bit…
all who will participate in the creation of the final product will be mentioned in the license on the level with everyone :slight_smile:

working directory:
link

settings file:

full_screen = False
window_mod_res = 1/2, 1/5
window_col = 255, 255, 255
frame_prog_categ_position = right
frame_prog_categ_col = 236, 236, 236
frame_prog_col = 236, 236, 236
off_but_path = /usr/share/off_system/off_prog
setting_but_path = /usr/share/setting/set_prog

-What for?
-then, that this version of the program menu has no analogue, and more - there is no analogue on Python - and this menu of the program will be quite convenient for users of Linux systems.

The first step is made - theory and design.

Join someone who is interesting, but I’ll go look what is - tkinter https://python-forum.io/images/smilies/smile.png

Thank you for attention.

OK.
What would not be then problems with too loud a Name, Thread (project) changes its name from Python OS, to freePy_OS.
There are already some things about the menu … it is necessary to warn with a loud Brand Name.
And probably, if there is a section off-topic chat in the forum, then this topic can develop here - basically…

Thank you for attention.

I have remove “_Tkinter.TclError” exception and using mainloop instead of manual update. Here’s the file https://www.dropbox.com/s/pow055g9rw0pyeb/simpleMenu.py?dl=0

…I remember the time… © Nana

DOS Navigator - you remember it, those times - two windows …

In the topic of py -sunflower FM - In Python, can write something like this…

Picture from the official package in Ubuntu - sunflower FM (I apologize - from the official debian package on sunflower FM)

Thank you for attention.

• hey, are you an Indonesian programmer Oscar?

I now know what the byte code is and what is not terrible for the GUI py OS…
…and if still do at the start of the game, unloading the GUI py … and after leaving the game, back loading the GUI py - it will also be interesting. Game console mode - nothing superfluous in RAM (even unnecessary background programs) - in RAM ~50 MB, and everything else under the game, and RAM is not only the volume, but also the occupied bus, as well as the interruption of the processor.
I’m not wrong anywhere this time:eyebrowlift2:?

@Nick_Manchul
I’m very sorry for the very late reply. I just have a time to check my email so currently I saw notification about this post.

Since I’m really need money so I put everything I have on making my commercial game. So I may not able to continue pyOS project.

And yes, I’m a Indonesian.

No problem, Oscar.
This project should be closed, since a more conscious understanding of the operating system came - certainly Assembler, and without third-party modules.
Of course, not even on such a principle as Linux … and not even the standard principle of writing programs, 3d engines …
Greetings to the ancients. :sunglasses: