Would this make a good render system?

hi, i’m looking into building a new render machine, once i get the money saved up.
wondering if these components would make a decent system. my budget will be around $1,400.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Rosewill - RCX-Z775-LP 33.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card (are number of cores more important than gpu ram?) this one has 1,152 CUDA cores

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Smart Pro RGB 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thanks for any opinions,

Kinda-sorta OK. Storage is pretty weak, switch to a SSD (or a Samsung 960 M.2 drive, providing the motherboard supports it) for OS and working, keep the platter drive for long term storage. Get the 6 GB version of the 1060 GPU, unless you’re rendering very small scenes or not doing GPU rendering. If you’re going to be CPU rendering, consider another stick or two of RAM so all 10+ threads will have enough.

upgrade the cooler to something more reputable and bigger. but make sure it will fit in your case. the bigger the cooler, the longer it will take over heat in the even of fan failure.

id up the power supply to platinum or titanium efficiency.

+1 on upping PSU — you have room for an additional future graphics card and more wattage now is a relatively small incremental cost.

I agree with @dgorsman on GPU (go as big as you can) but I’d keep the big drive and ADD an SSD system drive.

Ain’t we good at spending your money?

thanks for the advice. I’m still researching the components. it’s been a while since i’ve built a system from scratch, so i’m trying to catch up with the new tech. was reading a motherboard review today that said a mobo needs a Z370 chipset to support a 6 core I7. what are the most important mobo features i should be looking at, do i need all the bells and whistles? I use Blender as a hobby, so i’m trying not to go overboard. What’s with all the cases with LED lights? trying to find an affordable case without the LEDs. is liquid cooling really worth the cost? is it better than a cpu fan?

Thanks in advance for any more opinions

Gamers like to look good, more so if they are “live streaming” their session (I still can’t believe that’s a thing…) or in a professional league (again, how did that happen…). If all of those are turned on (including ones on the GPU, RAM, etc.) it can add an extra load on the power supply so keep that in mind - either get a higher-rated supply or plan to deliberately turn all those bells-n-whistles off.

Pretty much all Z370 based motherboards come with an M.2 drive connector, especially ones that support the i7-8700 (and the “K” unlocked model at 3.7 GHz). Not required, but if you can spare the money it’s well worth it. At the very least get a solid state drive for your OS and main programs. @g60 - it really is easy to spend out of someone else’s wallet, isn’t it? :smiley:

Unless you’re going to be overclocking your system, air-cooling should be fine. Even a modest overclock on the CPU can be done with air-cooling.