Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Blender is not behind a paywall, the title should be changed.

Although it would be legal if it were, btw, it's totally ok to sell GPL software. The recipient may share it freely with anyone, though. May, not has to. Nobody can demand a copy of the software just because it's GPL.

Same with the CC content. Nobody can demand that it must be shared. Those who have it are allowed to share, if they want to.

Some people seem to think that somebody (like the BF and the Blender developers) who generously makes software and source code available for free for everybody has to give away everything else for free also. How odd.

this whole thing have been misleading and the conversation became childish a long time ago and filled with this is how i see and this how community should be

i recommend closing this for good

Originally Posted by zanari View Post
    this whole thing have been misleading and the conversation became childish a long time ago and filled with this is how i see and this how community should be

i recommend closing this for good
    Oh thanks for that. I agree. Childish is a suitable description of the thinking behind my somewhat emotional posts here.

I've been disabused of that reasoning. I got it. Share Blender GPL and CC as you please as per the license. Ignore community / personal retribution. Report trolls to site management. Don't expect support from devs/management/community on public relations issues.

So this thread wasn't a total bust after all. It helped me. If you're over it don't click on it. Or use the report button lower left. Moderators close dud threads all the time. They may change the title too, but why bother? Misleading? Who cares?

-LP
    Last edited by LarryPhillips; 21-Feb-18 at 01:50. Reason: grammar

Originally Posted by LarryPhillips View Post
    I've been disabused of that reasoning. I got it. Share Blender GPL and CC as you please as per the license. Ignore community / personal retribution. Report trolls to site management. Don't expect support from devs/management/community on public relations issues.
    - Share GPL and CC: of course, a license should be respected, but you can share as much as you want, if itīs a problem for you to have things behind a 10€/month payment, why donīt you pay 1 month, download everything and put it somewhere over the internet? You can share the links in this forum, itīs totally legit, no one will close your threads.

- Ignore community/personal retribution: what do you mean? You help people to get some retribution? But is people offering you such retribution when asking for your help? What retribution do you want? When I help people (and I do here and inside my YouTube channel and in other places) the only retribution I find is the people watching the videos, or the people solving their trouble, but I donīt expect anything else, the real retribution comes from my real work in my studio, there I demand retribution of course, an economical one,not just a “thanks”, and I use Blender to do that.

- Report trolls: but... of course!... but that doesnīt mean you are a troll, if that were the case... how could we be speaking right now?
    I too think this thread is finished, you said everything you want, others answered you from both directions, and the latest posts are just a soft argument about the thread itself, not anymore about the topic.

- Donīt expect support on public relations issues: what PR issues? That you donīt agree with one thing? That is not a PR issue, thatīs your opinion, and itīs ok, but if you want support you can go to the proper channels to communicate with devs, this is not the correct place for such things, write an email to Ton, he will answer you, go to Blender.Chat in the #support channel, got to the IRC, and in the near future there will be an official forum I think, but blenderartists is not the place to look for support from the Blender Institue or the Blender Foundation.

Now regarding your position, I could easily mark you as a troll for one reason, you ignored every statement that disarmed you, and you answered just those statements you though yo could refute, that is what a troll does to keep the conversation going to the infinite, I hope you are not a troll, just a person that wants to keep speaking, because you said many times that you donīt have time to keep posting here,but yet you keep answering.

The case is closed, not because I said so, but because it has been demonstrated that Blender is not behind a paywall, that what is behind a paywall are different things, but not Blender, an with the leverage that if you want to make all that content that is behind a paywall free for anyone, go and do it, itīs legit and you are legally covered, but weīll see if you need money to maintain a host with continuous downloads with a lot of GBīs of information, and it will cost you far more than 10€/month, and what will you do then? Start asking for a monthly fee to maintain those files free? Go and do that, no one is stopping you, and no one can or, by the way, want.

BTW the first proof that Blender is not behind a paywall is that you can freely download it...

Now if you donīt agree with my judgement, great, Iīm not a judge, but this is my opinion, just like you have your own one, and we can keep interchanging opinions for as long a you want, or for as long as I want, because you probably want to have the last word, but hey, Iīm stubborn, and I have 5 minutes a day just to answer you, so...

Cheers!
    Last edited by juang3d; 21-Feb-18 at 03:55.

Originally Posted by LarryPhillips View Post
    As long as you think in those extreme terms, there is no way to have a constructive discussion. You seem to interpret many aspects of this topic as a "they against us" or "they against you". This kills any discussion even before it starts.
    It is unreasonable to deduce "rules" or your way of behaviour based on extreme cases. Those extreme cases are usually just theoretical. This is not going to lead to a constructive solution or anything that helps a community. Those extreme cases are not where the majority of the cases take place. This majority is far more diverse and a lot more complicated to understand. When you focus on the extreme cases which are not practically relevant, you are missing out on the cases which are actually happening, the ones which have an impact on the community as a whole. That's where a constructive discussion can take place which is relevant for the community.

Plus – there are many things that we as a community can take no-cost advantage of, which actually cost money. Those costs should not be absorbed by any organization without recompense. Instead, they should be distributed to the final beneficiaries, where the properly-amortized costs now become slight, or even negligible. There's nothing "paywall" about that: it's simply the way that the world works, and it works very well.

(If you haven't yet made a contribution to Blender Foundation, perhaps you should. Contributions, also, are another way of amortizing very-real costs. No, you don't have to pay for it. But, pay for it anyway. Even small amounts of money, coming from a world, do add up.)

Nothing in this world is actually "free." Especially not computer software.
    Last edited by sundialsvc4; 21-Feb-18 at 08:44.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789