Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Originally Posted by LarryPhillips View Post
    It just seems like a house of cards to me. Enjoy it while it lasts. I hope I'm wrong.
    It is fragile, but getting more stable. I am pretty sure that a fair bunch of people are subscribed mainly to support Blender, just like me. At the same time, it would be naive from the Blender Institute to just continue with the house of cards. I am pretty sure that's the reason why they are extending the cloud by provinding additional services, like handling the production pipeline, allowing to access the cloud content from Blender directly in an extremely user friendly way. And it seems they are continuing to add services, including dedicated ones with additional price tags. I believe this is a good direction.

Hiiu, Nõmme, Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia, EU
    Originally Posted by Dantus View Post
    And it seems they are continuing to add services, including dedicated ones with additional price tags. I believe this is a good direction.
    Agreed. Subscription models fit services best after all.
    FunLinks: . . . . . . .

And for once, it is a REAL subscription with REAL services, not like other "subscriptions" in other companies :P

Originally Posted by Dantus View Post
    It is fragile, but getting more stable. I am pretty sure that a fair bunch of people are subscribed mainly to support Blender, just like me. At the same time, it would be naive from the Blender Institute to just continue with the house of cards. I am pretty sure that's the reason why they are extending the cloud by provinding additional services, like handling the production pipeline, allowing to access the cloud content from Blender directly in an extremely user friendly way. And it seems they are continuing to add services, including dedicated ones with additional price tags. I believe this is a good direction.
    Its true the Cloud is still in very early stages and clearly intended to evolve into far more than a tutorial and content / asset shareing service.

Along with the project pipeline lead. I was recently pushing to get Blender plugged into the pipeline at the last place I was working in-house at. The paliminary idea was to get it working with the studios Alembic set up as a fast previewing tool for models and look dev. One of the hurdles was that there was no obvious place to go for that sort of pipeline advice and tech support.

From what I can gather this seems to be partly where the Cloud is being driven. A vital support structure for those using Blender professionaly. Both individually and as groups and studios. Blender needs this sort of support and a funding model solidly place I think. Especially as it continues to move more into mainstream industry use.
    Last edited by Toka; 13-Feb-18 at 13:15.

We are all ambassadors of Blender and the Blender user community.

Any good cheer we bring to others is good for the cause.

-LP
    Last edited by LarryPhillips; 14-Feb-18 at 19:14. Reason: The main issue in a nutshell.

what more is needed than the already provided link to archive.org to the outdated DVD which was requested in a rude manner?

Like it or not, the BF needs money to run. It also costs quite a bit of money to get enough development going in a FOSS app. so it can so much as hold a candle to commercial solutions (otherwise, you have a totally FOSS environment where money is not involved and everything is free, but at the cost of the app. being inferior to even the free crippleware that commercial vendors might offer).

It seems like some would not be happy unless the Blender world was firmly in the situation that would render our software as unable to keep up at all with the likes of Maya or even Lightwave (but hey, everything is free, everyone is equal, and we struggle with archaic tools and features together).

For the perpetual pessimist, may I suggest a switch to Bforartists (a fork initially developed out of a strong dislike for Ton and co.). I will caution though that much of their development is still tied to whatever the BF produces (not enough resources to allow it to become a truly independent app.).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Ace I make it a rule not to reply to your patronizing remarks but I'll reply to the second paragraph above.

I'm not struggling with archaic tools and features. I am not nor do I want to be part of the "industry". I'm just an artist. All development could end today and it wouldn't affect me in the least. At this moment I couldn't care less.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

-LP
    Last edited by LarryPhillips; 14-Feb-18 at 19:16. Reason: cleanup

I reread the post with a clearer mind. The quote above sounds like a cop out. The encouragement isn't visible enough in my opinion. An old blog post here and there doesn't cut it. He has great influence over all users no matter what forum they are participating in. I guess the criticism is I don't think they (the BI) cares. It's just all part of the "noise". Especially if it's happening here. So flame away and to hell with public relations.
    Those are open movie projects which are released under the creative commons license. That was always clearly and visibly communicated. Most people who have heard about the project are very likely aware of its open nature. So, I don't understand what exactly should be done about it.

Yes I am being totally unrealistic I now realize. The community is a mob. It takes a person with real PR skills to lead a mob. A leader not a business manager or coder. The pedestal in my mind has been removed. Thank you.
    What are you talking about? Why does the Blender community need a (PR) leader? There is absolutely no need for that! And why should this community be a mob? Where does that come from? That makes absolutely no sense.

-LP
    Last edited by LarryPhillips; 14-Feb-18 at 19:15. Reason: The main issue in a nutshell.

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    It seems like some would not be happy unless the Blender world was firmly in the situation that would render our software as unable to keep up at all with the likes of Maya or even Lightwave (but hey, everything is free, everyone is equal, and we struggle with archaic tools and features together).
    True.

It’s quite incredible how far it has come. And you certainly can’t say anybody is slumming it by using Blender these days. It’s up there. It’s a solid reliable professional standard tool. And one with it’s own unique features and workflow advantages. As well as a few quirks of course.

But hey ! Let’s never forget. They all have quirks.

But one of Blenders quirks is that it is freely available to just about anyone.
    Last edited by Toka; 13-Feb-18 at 16:32.

As others have mentioned, you don't need to pay anything to download or use Blender. There are also a lot of free tutorials to get you started (with links earlier in the discussion). "Paywall" sounds like hyperbole.

You are "forced" to join the Cloud only as much as it's currently the single place that offers ALL the Blender Foundation's material. A lot this material can be found elsewhere e.g.:

Humane Rigging
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-X...11C8C41F1AFBAB

Creature Factory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOc70C5KpJ8&list=PL7958A43A36D1EFC3

In practical terms, it does create a barrier where you need to pay to access the complete catalogue in one place (as much as it was a barrier when you needed to pay for the DVDs or USB keys). However this can be fixed, as the license doesn't prohibit sharing the material, it's even encouraged to do so.

I believe if someone was serious enough in establishing an alternative venue to distribute this material, they could work with the Blender Foundation. I can't speak on the foundation's behalf, but I imagine with credit card or money constraints, you could most likely aggree on free access to download the material to then distribute on your own.

Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    Its true the Cloud is still in very early stages and clearly intended to evolve into far more than a tutorial and content / asset shareing service.

Along with the project pipeline lead. I was recently pushing to get Blender plugged into the pipeline at the last place I was working in-house at. The paliminary idea was to get it working with the studios Alembic set up as a fast previewing tool for models and look dev. One of the hurdles was that there was no obvious place to go for that sort of pipeline advice and tech support.

From what I can gather this seems to be partly where the Cloud is being driven. A vital support structure for those using Blender professionaly. Both individually and as groups and studios. Blender needs this sort of support and a funding model solidly place I think. Especially as it continues to move more into mainstream industry use.
    I am really glad that they are taking care to create a support structure for professionals. I hope that this gets enough attention from the professionals, such that it can be extended to dedicated Blender support.

Past history. I guess you missed it. I think we're done here.

Thanks for your time.

-LP
    That has to be a pretty bad history when a discussion turns all of a sudden into a rant about everything from the leadership to the mob community. I really like it to hear about other views than mine, so thanks for the discussion and I sincerely hope that the future with this community is better for you than the past.

-LP
    Last edited by LarryPhillips; 14-Feb-18 at 19:15. Reason: The main issue in a nutshell.

As long as the core software remains free (which doesn't seem to be a concern), I'm actually thankful Blender has these alternative revenue sources. One of the major concerns around the development of Blender has been devs coming and going, and taking and leaving knowledge with them. It would take a new dev months to even break down the code and start developing their concepts on how to add/change the core of Blender, and it would be insanely wasteful to then let that dev leave due to lack of funds. This is not a concern shared by most of the other dev houses, at least not to the same extent (Autodesk, Maxon, etc), so the fact that the Blender Foundation has found a way to shore up this concern has massive ramifications on how competitive/valued Blender will be going forward.

Then again, I am a just a privileged white American.

And that is one of the most important functions that the revenue sources (and paid content) is providing, it gives the BF some ability to combat the revolving door of devs. that tend to plague FOSS projects.

In many cases, a project sees a talented young dev. come in, create some awesome functionality, and then leave when he gets a job. This leads to entire areas of code being orphaned (and likewise leads to very little development there for long periods). The reason why this happens is because in most cases, the FOSS organization simply does not have the money to be able to retain that caliber of talent (but Blender has several devs. now on paid contracts which impedes brain-drain and improves the overall code quality in many areas).

Blender has already felt the effects of the revolving door (ever wonder why the UV and sculpt modules seem to be abandoned right now)? One poster in this thread mentioned how he has no problem with archaic and outdated tools, part of that is because they are able to be updated with the help of paid development jobs (allowing Blender to have skilled devs. like Campbell working full-time instead of relying entirely on a succession of young volunteers whose time with Blender is only temporary).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Please LP don't delete your posts and replace with some kind of statements, growing up as a community we need every members POV, if some people didn't understand or support your way of thinking it doesn't mean everybody rejects your line of thought. I think it is better to not comment at all than commenting and deleting the post.

Word of wisdom: Stand firm like Larry don't hide like Erick

Just for the fun of it

I subscribe to the idea that if you license video as CC you should promote its sharing. As it stands now the Blender management's embrace of Creative Commons is nothing but a marketing ploy.

Thanks to the silence from the management along with the community tamping down public sharing this CC licensing has been reduced to a sham. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the moneymaking. It just seems the CC license is being used in an unethical way.

Anyone could fix this by uploading everything to a youtube account. Problem is if you do that and post it publicly here, you will be skewered in a massive hate thread. I know this because it used to happen here every time they released a training DVD. Anyone requesting a share gets the same treatment. Negative and nasty.

The OP's attitude is irrelevent. He would get the same result no matter how he went about it. No video offered but lots of people saying in so many words, "I paid for mine, pay for yours. Sharing is stealing from Blender."

Ton used to step in and say "CC means we want it shared... it's marketing Blender to the world". It made little difference. Now all we get is silence while they collect fees. Meanwhile none of the great training video sitting in the cloud gets publicly shared. No massive sharing. How convenient.

Convenient for the short-term bottom line but I think it makes the Blender management and the Blender community look bad. Especially here at BA. To the casual observer it looks like a hotbed of fanboys and pros jumping on anyone who dares to share or request a share of CC licensed material. This is not good.

This is a management issue. The tone is set from the top. Btw I noticed licensing info was missing on the video pages in the cloud when I was in there last year. I only know it's supposed to be CC because they promote the fact on a blog page somewhere. Why is that? Social engineering or just a poorly done website?

It stinks quite a bit all around IMO. The only solution I can come up with is either drop this Creative Commons charade completely or totally embrace it. The home office should actively promote the sharing of their CC licensed products. They should upload ALL the CC video to youtube as lowres and use the hires + files to promote Blender cloud.

When someone here asks for a free copy of one of these videos he or she should be showered with links to youtube along with a positive pitch for joining the cloud. That's good marketing of Blender, the cloud, and the community. What we have now is the opposite of that.

Please back off from the conflated issues in the posts above and comment on this. I've thought this through. Tell me where I'm wrong. Yeah this post rambles a bit. Sorry about that. I'm not a good writer. This took me hours to put together.

Have a great day everyone. Thanks for your time.

-LP
    "Don't forget that blender is a community project, we develop blender together.
    If you feel things aren't as good as the should be, make it your goal to improve it." Sergof

the files are already available via torrents, on youtube and online archives are hosting these files.
    What else do you want which could be easily solved via some old fashioned search thru the internet?

I think that some people have telling like in the community the users have some problem to put a link of the Blender movies, when normally we can see here the videos embebed...

We can't forgot that the people that ask by the videos have do in the bad way, and like they have special rights. And telling, basically, that they don't care about blender future...
    Last edited by DcVertice; 15-Feb-18 at 05:33.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast