Procedural padded sofa material

Hey guys I was trying to make a padded sofa material similar to these:-

And here’s what I got from fiddling around in blender:-

I was hoping yall could help me improve this. I’m sure it would help everyone in the community. Have a nice day!

Here’s the blendfile:-ProceduralCushion Retrax57.blend (391 KB)

ooh fun one:
Bild proceduralcushion_bafupkuj.png auf abload.de

May you have as much fun picking it apart as I did putting it together: ProceduralCushion_BAFK.blend (79 KB)

edit: fixed image link.

I made a similar one a long time ago, but I discarded it because it was getting messy. I tried to find the blend last night but couldn’t find it. Great work man, thank you.

By creating enough groups like this we could easily have a substance like tool-set at hand within blender no problem.

I created a thread a while back to explore exactly this type of thing.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?346786-Procedural-Patterns-What-is-possible

Except using that mapping node is very cumbersome, better to develop own custom mapping chain as I did, but then you have to understand the math of it. Unless you chose to just use groups made by others I guess, but wheres the fun in that, right? :wink:

1 Like

could also be made real topo using modifiers

happy cl

How ? With displacement ? I don’t think the displacement modifier accepts nodes.

I think he means with array modifier.

use of array and curve modifier
been done before
but I cannot find the link for model I did on forum!
might be part of something else

then you could always bake it I guess

happy cl

found an older one here
but same idea with real topo

happy bl

Honestly, doing it with the shader is quicker, but only if you already have the shader in your asset library, the one I provided can easily be plugged into a bump node for normalmap too though it might be better to either change the node from quadratic sphere to simply sphere or plug a rgb curve node after the group to control the shape in finer detail.

all the bumps / Nor map wont give a much deep 3D effects and function of angles too
always limited as a 3D effect unless it is the only way to represent it for Game engine

happy bl

Same scalar you plug into bump nodes height field can be used for displacement too.

Bild proceduralcushion_bafepkpt.png auf abload.de

Bild proceduralcushion_bafn6ja3.png auf abload.de

ProceduralCushion_BAFK_2.blend (75.2 KB)

Some time ago I made this )

I see there’s dimples(for the lack of a better word) in the large squares. You might be able to get rid of those by using a rgb curve.

Thank you, I will consider for the future.