Blender 2.8 - Code Quest - Crowd sourced funding

If anyone has missed the announcement – https://www.blender.org/2-8/quest/

The MissionWorkflow is the main theme for the Blender 2.8 project. Many complex architectural changes are required to achieve this goal.

The current team of core developers working on Blender 2.8 is distributed over multiple continents and collaborates online, using chat and emails, which is not always efficient.

It was known that the project would take 2 or 3 years to complete, but to keep momentum it shouldn’t take much longer. Everyone wants to get Blender 2.8 done this year!

Make it happen!
Let’s go on a quest and bring the core Blender developers together in Amsterdam, to work at the Blender Institute!

We intend to do this for a minimum period of 3 months. This ensures we can tackle issues with enough attention, including time to provide feedback on UI design and usability. At least one of the permanent seats in the team is reserved for a designer to perform these tasks full-time.

We will also create room for additional developers and designers to work on one or two weeks sprints focused on specific topics, when required.

Targets
Blender 2.80 (beta) release Q3 2018.
Blender “101”, simple configuration for occasional users.
Quality Assurance: define a protocol for better testing.
Launch event at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver (August 14-16). A small representative booth at the trade-show will be rented.

One thousand Rockets
Support the Blender 2.8 Code Quest for 39USD (34EUR) and you will receive an amazing Blender-branded 8GB USB Rocket as a thank you token. The content of the rocket will be goodies such as a collection of 2.8 EEVEE demo files and Blender Open Movies.

With 1000 rockets sold we can launch the Code Quest!

Discount valid until 1st March! Rocket ships to all supporters in April.

This is a great idea, I will be supporting this.

I am curious though, if their goal is $200K-$250K why only make the Rocket USB goal 1,000?

at $40 x 1,000 = $40,000 (nowhere near the goal)

I think the 250k will come from the combined funding of blender cloud, blender donations system, sponsors AND rocket USB donation.

That’s the image of how the funds will be broken down…as you can see 40k is about 20% of the full circle, meaning 200k would be the full circle.

First you must sell 1000 units

Nice rocket, is that the Blendcon Heavy? Take us to Mars blender devs!

For someone that is looking to donate to blender, is this the best way to do it if we don’t really care about the USB drive. Or is there a better or more efficient way to donate to the production of 2.8?

Developer fund:

Going well so far…

This is the kind of funding i’ve always thought about.
Really happy.

Will purchase mine soon

Thank you.

Bought 3 will be able to either giveaway 2 when they ship, or perhaps instead offer as rewards for a weekend challenge or something. Cool beans.

Done ! Thanks for posting.

Really snazzy design as well. Going to look great on the desktop.
Role on 2.8 :slight_smile:

purchased mine rocket!! :slight_smile:

happy to help devs bringing 2.8 in the outer space!!! (every reference to the last news is unwanted :slight_smile: )

Damn those puppies are flying off the shelf ordinarily I would jump at getting one but I see that I am one of the ingredients in the pie of awesomeness already. It’s good to know that the cloud can support part of this and the Spring short film.

Phew, caught mine just in time! What a cool looking item! Hope they extend it and pay out as bonuses or something. On a side note, would be really cool if Store would have more items, it’s a great way of making buyer feel rewarded while funds go for a good cause.

Got me 2. ^^

I think the 1000 is just a minimum, there is a note there that says so. It would be cool if the published what their stretch goals where though.

The initial mail announcing the project hinted at what would happen if they sold well more than 1000 rockets.

In that case, the time period will either be extended or the number of developers involved will increase (or both). I think the fact that they are approaching their initial goal so fast is, in part, due to the promise users have been seeing with 2.8’s development so far (though the promise of content contained in a spiffy rocket design helps a bit too) :slight_smile:

One tiny rocket ordered :slight_smile: