WHy is my texture placing itself on the whole mesh when I did not assign it to it ?

facesConfusion2.blendClick image for larger version. 

Name:	faceConfusion.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1,022.0 KB 
ID:	515103

I am not telling blender to put this graphic on the whole mesh. When I create a new material my mesh automaticly turns black and the graphic gets placed on the whole mesh. I dont want it on the whole mesh I just want it on the UV map
    Attached Files Attached Files

Maybe I need to copy the mesh to a new document so it looses its data and start over one face at a time. ? but still it seams there should be a way to see what data is attached to the mesh and a way to clear it off. Also I inadvertently switched from data to object in the materials panel. Maybe that the problem.
    Last edited by Brontobyte; 13-Feb-18 at 12:46.

Hello. First of all make sure to have a light object inside the scene. Second, check out my post here on how I apply textures to be shown both in material and solid views. Hopefully it helps.
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/sho...=1#post3281928

Because it is the first material on the list.

The first material will always get applied to the entire object.

Only after you have a default material as layer, can you start to individually assign a material.

Very Cool Thank you icythe !

https://blenderartists.org/forum/sho...d-to-what-face

Here in the post above I started out selecting a face and assigning a material to that face. And it worked out. But now from this post I can see how I can override a mesh that has already been UV unwrapped be assigning a material to it first.