WIP : "Transmit Love"

Hello! So heads up… this is my first ever project in 3D. Looks like all this forum is filled with very skilled and talented artists, I’m quite shy to show my beginner work but I’m honored to be in yo presence. I’ve watched Guru Price’s beginner tutorial and then decided to go for it on this little project; didn’t really have a mapped out plan with this one, just knew I wanted to do transmission towers and to highlight the heart with neon lights (idk if that came out as well)
But yes!
I’d love some feedback and maybe some advice for a beginner pls ?

Couple of questions…

• As a beginner is this too big of a project? Should I be practicing modeling smaller objects first?
  • Should I just go for it and learn how to model mountains/rocks while I’m on this project?

this bottom one is a little different perspective,
I also attempted to add some “atmosphere fog” using point lamps
lol…just made the background’s terrible resolution more apparent

Thanks guys
:spin:

Hi, if it’s your first project, you did good!.. …sure you have a lot to learn but the more you love to spend time on Blender, the fastest you’ll learn… …in the case of this pic, start by modelling with references, your pylons are not possible in real life, they would fall cause they’re not stable in depth, you need four legs, and the section of the steel is far too much big!.. …and for the terrain, try to use the “ant landscape” addon you will find in the addons tab in your user preferences window… …the only advice : if you love that, never give up! :wink:

Dont worry about modeling small objects right now. What you are doing is good because you picked a project and a goal, now you just need to make whatever it is that completes your vision for this image. You will learn things along the way.

Like yaya said making the towers have 4 legs is important. You can also create wires using curves and in the curve property menu adding bevel to give them thickness. You should also up the resolution on those rocks. You can then either hand sculpt more detail into them or apply displacement maps using either real photos or different combinations of noise textures.

Your lighting is a bit flat right now and could do with more defined lighting. I would remove that star background and try to find a a higher resolution nighttime hdri or something similar. Are you using cycles for this or Blender internal? I recommend cycles.

The idea is great and your composition is pretty good. But you might want to bring the camera closer to the ground and angle it upwards. This will give the towers more height and convey better just how big these are, because they look small at the moment.