Getty has killed Google images

Well I guess Google has struck a deal with Getty Images to do away with the google image search ‘View Image’ option. So you can no longer view the image you are searching for without having to go to the sources web page to see it and load all the other junk that follows with most web pages. The deal has been struck for a year so unless something happens between now and a year I will probably end up having to use Bing at this point till they do that. They claim that photographers have been complaining that their artwork is being stolen. So I don’t see how that is going to stop it and in most (at least my) instances I will save an image just as a reference and once the project is done then I delete the reference images.

Has this affected anyone else that uses google images?

Right-click + open in new tab

That option does not hold the resolution of the old ‘view image’ option though.

I did try the option “Open image in new tab” (for an image in HD resolution), the image appeared in the original resolution as it should (working the same way as the old button).

There is the potential annoyance though (with a small handful) that Chrome might download the image to your machine instead, but that was the exact same case with the button.

Well at this point it is working. Maybe when I was trying it was during a transition or something cause I swear I was about to toss Google to the wind. None of those options were working that supposedly worked. So I was going to start taking screen shots to show but now it works like it should.

mobile firefox doesnt work with google, you need to fake the user agent.

for desktop, the issues arent as noticable, but i have seen one or two oddities that didnt happen on chrome.

you might want to try using googles dns, as it could be your isp messing things up.

It seems to be working now. I am on fall creators edition of windows 10 and running chrome as my browser. But initially there was no option other than saving the thumbnail without going to the full hosting website. Now I am able to save the full resolution image again so hopefully it stays that way. It may have just been a rollout phase or something dealing with the change that caused the wonky issues till it got squared away. But all is fine now. I gave up on firefox about a year ago when they started not supporting stuff without add-ons and such.

The image search on duckduckgo works correctly.

I also switched from chrome to vivaldi awhile back and never regretted it.

This is only in the new version of chrome. I have, and will keep an extra “old version” around for whenever it comes in handy.

is vivaldi really good? how long have you’ve been using it?

I’ve been using it since last May and I have had zero issues with it.
It’s relatively new so it has some growing up to do, for example it doesn’t have built in VPN and there isn’t a mobile version yet but I don’t need either of those so I’m happy.

It’s a free download, just take it for a spin and see if you like it. The only customization I’ve applied is the dark theme and setting duckduckgo as default search.

I use Opera – it has a built in Ad blocker that you can customize per site, capture sections of the screen with ease, a wonderful favorites window with thumbnails, and it uses the same Chromium engine as Google’s Chrome so it’s very fast.

Thank you! I’m using it now. But i think I’ll be using Opera more since it has VPN for security

Cool, I hope you like vivaldi.
Fun fact: the vivaldi team are the ones who created opera, they left after opera was sold to a chinese company.

Here is an interesting thread about why vivaldi does not have built-in vpn: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/7872/include-vpn-in-browser

Yeah it sucks but it made me go dig deeper in the web than just use image search when I am looking for textures. I found texturelib, poliigon, textures.com and sketchuptextureclub. Great sites for hd textures and the premium features are cheap.