2.80 Eevee lights not working?

Hi guys,

i’m fairly proficient in Cycles, so decided to try out eevee. I downloaded the latest build and built the simple suzanne on a floor plane with a lamp scene but the lamp doesn’t seem to light anything. An environment map seems to light my objects bu doesn’t cast any shadows. When I switch to Cycles everything works like I expect it to. All objects have materials. What am I missing here? Is my hardware not supported?

MacOS
GeForce GT 750M
Intel Iris Pro
2.3 Ghz i7

Would love to start building some beautiful near real-time scenes!

Thanks for reading. And if you know someone else who might have the answer, don’t hesitate to link me to his/her inbox.

Last time I looked Blender 2.80 was in a highly experimental pre-alpha state. Expect things to NOT work all the time…

Sometimes lights in Eevee are much darker than in cycles so try turning the energy up. As for the shadows, Eevee has a clipping value, so if your scene is quite big you may need to increase the clipping end value.

Also I think that what you are seeing with environment lights is not lighting but actually reflections, hence why you see no shadows.

1 Like

I have the same issue, latest build of blender (2.83), Gigabyte motherboard, NVIDIA 1660 Super, Intel core i5 9600-KF, Ubuntu Mate…

Funny thing is I bought this one because my old motherboard didn’t support Eevee at all. Cue comical crickets…

Anyone from yee old 2018 solve this one?

Reverted to 2.82, and works fine!

Looks like it’s an issue with the new LTS, so I’ll just have to be patient.