Character Development "Old Man" - Help needed

Hi guys! You might have seen me here and there starting projects, not continuing and so on. It’s too bad that’s happened, and I want to ask you for help during my latest project! It’s been going really great but I have problems! I’ve already learnt a lot, but if possible I want to reach longer. So to the project:

This is a character that I’ve been working on very hard for maybe a week or slightly longer. It started off as a sculpt of a random head just for fun, then it all escalated step by step. Now I’ve sculpted, retopoed, textured and even rigged the whole character! There are a few concerns though! (Mainly concerning the rig!)

I’m happy with the materials and the overall look of the character, some tweaks may be done but I overall that’s good. I’ll just post this for a start and soon come back with more info!

1 Like

First of all another render:

Viewport:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515980[/ATTACH]

Matcap

I wanted to show you the model first and introduce you to the project before really diving into my problems! :smiley:

Whole character High res:

Note that all these renders are rather close to where I am now but might be slightly old and not quite represent my current settings, materials etc.

1 Like

The character is rigged with rigify! I was surprised by how easy it was and how well it worked off the bat! Now it even has a facial rig. Really cool and works surprisingly well! I never planned to take the character this far and I’ve problems understanding when to stop! I feel that at least I want to fix the rig before calling it a day. (And in the end, creating some very nice renders! :eyebrowlift:)

I’m having some problems with the deformation. Is it ever advisable to use multi-res on a production character? I’m using it for the face, hands and feet, and I have used it for the clothes but I’m trying to fix that since it created some errors during the deformation! Would baking normal maps, and using sub-d instead be a more viable option?

Please share your ideas and thoughts!

I’ve also been figuring how to manage bigger projects! I end up with a lot of different models and the files become bigger and bigger. If I want to create one render in one pose with one specific lighting setup, and then I want to use the same model for another shot with another lighting setup. I still want to keep the old one. How would I best go about that? Linking the finished character to separate .blend files?

I’m also considering creating teeth and a tongue for him and then rigging him with Blenrig…

If you want to keep the old set up and still make a new one try copy and pasting the previous set up a new layer and make the new one on a different layer.