// Faith //

Heiya everyone!
After spending a fantastic week in Brighton, I’ve started to work on this project as soon I came back home.
I’ve seen a lot of amazing sea-scapes during my little trip and I guess that some of those got stuck somewhere in my mind!
My goal was once again to create something closer to a painted illustration rather than a standard 3D environment.
I’ve tried to keep the concept as simple as it could be, using a really stylized workflow.

And there it is a clay render of the scene –>

C&C are welcome, and thanks for checking this out!
Peace

Davide

3 Likes

nice moon and man reaching scene.

It’s really beautiful. I love this kind of imaginative stuff. I’m impressed that it doesn’t look off-balance, that’s quite a trick with a structure like this.

fantastic!

I’d say you achieved your goal. Does not look like a standard 3D environment. I really like the mood and style.

Very nice work - congrats!

How did you achieve the “broken” edges of the walls on this and your “Hope” project? Is that a painted texture or a shading trick?

Nice work! Love the dreamy concept and the visual style.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!
I’m stoked to see so much appreciation and to be featured in the Forum Gallery aswell!

@Kynu

“How did you achieve the “broken” edges of the walls on this and your “Hope” project? Is that a painted texture or a shading trick?”

Shading trick! All the project has just ONE MATERIAL! ; )
(The whole thing is ~10 MB and render super fast, that’s the way I like it to work!)
The material node is pretty huge, but as for the question you asked me, there it is this specific node group there -->

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516374[/ATTACH]

Playing with the normal nodes and the coloramp allows me to create those “broken edges” you were talking about : )

Very interesting, I’ll definitely try this out! but your attachment image seems to be broken - could you please share it again?

Yikes!
Didn’t noticed the image was broken!
There we go! -->

Hurray, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hah, I learned a lot this morning!
Thank you for teaching me some basics of vector math in Cycles. :slight_smile:
(the eureca moment was making the low poly object smooth for it to work)

But now some new questions came up, I hope you have some more time for me!
Am I right that your end image is a composited result of at least 3 passes?
2 times this normal trick to get the shadow lines cross-passing each other + a shadow pass?

The other thing is coming from this last bit - as a newbie I don’t want to immerse myself in BI so I focus on Cycles - but I miss the hard ray-traced shadows it could potentially produce. Dumb question I know - but do you achieve those in Cycles - and if yes, how? If it’s BI - then I have to immerse in compositing - which in Blender is a strange territory for me (although I’m familiar with Shake and Nuke, Blender’s handling of image data always puts me off somehow)

Edit: you can totally say no to this but if you don’t mind I’d love to see and learn even more from your blend file.

@Kynu

I’m happy to help you out! :slight_smile:
So : I’ve never ever used BI in my life lol
It feels kinda awkward to me…while Cycles has a more “logic-rational” approach IMHO. Even if I’m basically “forcing” him to work as non-pbr engine (which is what BI is meant to be), I feel like Cycles is kinda “smart” at faking out every sorta of pass I need for my works :slight_smile:
(Nonetheless if you rely on heavy GPU workload, Cycles is def the way to go!)

That said: you kinda got it! It is basically 2 passes -->

1st one is the flat colors you’ve seen before.
The color material is a flat-fake-emit shader! I’m sure you can google it out, but it is basically a emit -> lightpath materials which results in flat colors which doesn’t cast-recieve any shadow at all (flat)

2nd one is a full render of the scene with a so-called “shadow material” as overide material for all the scene, like this -->

Once you have those 2 renders, it’s basically Colors -> Multiply -> Shadows -->

This is simple as it is :wink:
Then is just about some minor compositing, such as Mist pass, Ao pass (to enhance details/shadows) and some Glare/Bloom :wink:
I hope this can help you to get it all!
Cheers!

Davide

Thanks a lot Davide! I will test this workflow for sure!

Very simple and appealing, love it!

very nice!!! :slight_smile:

Good job, I like the style!

Really like the art style! And thanks for showing the nodes.

its beautiful… good job!

Thanks everyone for your appreciation on //Faith// (:
It’s always motivating to get such positive feebacks from the community and…maybe helping someone out by sharing some nodes/making of in return!

Davide