Circular Grill Mesh - High Polys - Best solution?

Hey there :slight_smile:

I’ve created a circular grill mesh that is incredibly high poly due to the high number of them on screen. Eventually, I plan to have this be part of a scene running in the Unity Game Engine. What would be the best solution to reduce the number of polygons? Would baking be a possible way to reduce the number of polygons yet retain the overall look? :eek: Or should I just admit defeat and use grid with a lower number of circular vertices?

I’ve attached a screenshot. Feel free to let me know thanks.

The best solution would be to make it a plane with a texture with an alpha channel. That’s four verts.

What are you using it for? I’m having a hard time imagining a use where it both all needs to be on screen at once and where thickness is important.

I would also consider using alpha planes in conjunction with only the circle’s walls (should cut your verts in half or better). I would also consider using level-of-detail models so that you only show the walls when it matters.

Incidentally, you should be making something like this with an array modifier. I don’t see one there, but maybe you have a different object selected. You need only one circle, repeated many times.

Hi bandages, thanks for the reply!

That sounds great, now I just need to figure out how to actually do that and make my circular grill into a texture that I can use to slap onto a plane that’s the same dimensions.

I’m using the grill mesh as part of the corridor ceiling and may also use it as part of some metal type walkway.

No I didn’t have one, but what difference does it make? I quickly did the same thing with the array modifier and the result was the same once applied, I guess it can be quicker?

There are plenty of ways. For what you have, it’s really something that’s easier to make in GIMP than in Blender. But you can change your camera to ortho and enable transparency in properties/render/film and just do a render to make a texture if you want. Once you have a texture, precise application depends on your renderer. In Cycles/nodes, you’d use the texture alpha to mix between a transparency shader and another shader.

Plane doesn’t have to be the same dimensions. Only thing that matters there is a single circle. Tile that across your plane to reduce texture size / improve texture resolution. Render a single circle, make your plane whatever size you want, scale the UV until you have as small of circles as you want.

I’m using the grill mesh as part of the corridor ceiling and may also use it as part of some metal type walkway.

It doesn’t sound like a situation where a lot of Unity devs would have the details be in a mesh. They’d probably be doing it via textures like I’m describing.

No I didn’t have one, but what difference does it make? I quickly did the same thing with the array modifier and the result was the same once applied, I guess it can be quicker?

You can do it anyway you want. It doesn’t matter. Your output is the only thing that matters.

It can be quicker. But what’s more important is that it’s easier to edit. If you want hexagons instead of circles, you do it once, not a hundred times.