First impressions last forever. How was your first install and run of Blender like?

Hi. I´m making a short survey about the user´s first impressions when installing and running Blender. At the end of the survey there´s a link for an EEVEE file! …and you´ll help me a lot to put better content out there for all of the community!
Follow this link.

Thanks!

How did you know a torus was my favorite primitive?!? Really, it’s too much, you shouldn’t have.

What? if it´s sarcasm, I cannot understand it. BUT! if what you´re posting is true, well, I guess it´s been most of the user´s experiences…

After I started Blender, the first thing I saw was a plane (Cube seen from Top view).
And I pressed big central RENDER button and said : “Cool ! This plane is a Cube. But that’s an ugly blue background.”
2.32 release. I am feeling old.

Why I fucking move this round cross instead of selecting this cube, cam and light to delete it?!
Fucking software, I uninstalled it directly :smiley:

True story ^^

4 Likes

Loaded 2.49, W.T.F.? How do I? What the actual? Why can’t I? :eek::eek: >> Deletes software from hard drive <<

Several years down the line, load 2.69, set left click select. “Oh, I see”, “hmm, that’s handy”. Never left. :eyebrowlift:

1 Like

Well… :slight_smile: I got in touch with Blender, a long time prior it went into the open source enviroment. I do not really remember the exact date, but I think it was some how something like 1997 or 1998. I also do not remember by what kind of “channel”, I got the software package - maybe something like Usenet, cause I’ve been out there for many years prior.

What I really remember was that first expression: Whow! That is possible on a computer as an result?! And after starting: Oh my God! How should I ever get through all those “features”. And yes, the right-click-select has been something really hard to get used to. But I never ever had the time to dive deeper into it… so… well…

After Ton was able to get into the Blender Foundation, I’ve been always a regular visitor on the progress lines. But never used the software really. “Playing around a bit” has been the only action. And as a result of the fact, that in those days I was on MS Windows - and with a Windows XP Proff., it was nearly impossible to work without waiting minutes, until a small change was really visible in the view-port. :slight_smile:

I think, the first Version, I installed and started to use Blender seriously, has been then 2.46 or 2.47, cause I remember the cute Bunny on the start-up scene then.

Really beginning to do continously things in Blender, I started up with at about 3 years ago and now, I am on a real “learning-flow”, in order to fullfill my “dreams about something special” to create. :slight_smile:

I uninstalled it in frustration the first time.

1 Like

Blender 2.41, summer 2006.

“looks like it was made for Linux lolllzz”

“this cube must be here so pros can quickly start modeling == this must be software for pros”

“this is too complex. i can learn japanese before i can lern blendar”

Came back from Japan last year. Still learning Blender.

2 Likes

Probably did this a couple of times. :ba:

Until the savior came and showed me the light.
Which was Masterxeon1001 with his Hardops plugin.
Modelling in Fullscreen with shortcuts only, also superfast ?
I was willing to invest a couple of months to get there, and now here i am.

Same here. Then later when the 2.5 UI project happened, I took the time to learn it (took a long time) and destroy years of muscle memory of “right click is for context menus.”

To this day I muscle fart occasionally when switching between software. Use left in in Blender or right in Unreal…

1 Like

WTF is this interface?! and I uninstall Blender2.4

With 2.5 was better, but the famous default config of the mouse didn’t help.

1 Like

lmao !

My first try was with 2.38a, bundled with other stuff on a CD from some PC magazine, can’t remember which. I played around a bit, but it really was too exotic. I went back to Amapi.

1 Like

Unzipped and ran 2.49b. The tutorial I was following lead to the intended result, exporting .CGFs to Far Cry. No complaints, but didn’t explore much beyond that at the time.

I just read on Blenders wikipedia page that the first free release was in 2003. I am pretty sure that I used Blender in late 2001, though, without having to pay or going through illegal channels.
I am quite sure about this because that was during my first semester of university and I definately used Blender for a semester project back then.

Ditto. However, I did notice how quickly it started up compared to Maya, and because I was quite interested in OSS, I remembered it and wasn’t so put off to never try it again. I also knew a guy that was into Blender, and because he’d produced some quite nice work with it, I gave it another try. The second time I was so pissed off with Maya/Autodesk, I made way more effort with Blender and learned how to use it properly via tutorials etc. Definitely grew on me, but not until after I assigned select to left click :wink:

I think I looked at Blender a few times over the years - but always deleted it due to it’s shocking UI.

Downloaded a version not long after 2.5 dropped - and havent looked back.

Sorry. It was meaner than I thought it would be. I just meant, if you’re going to try to bribe people, have something to bribe them with. If you don’t have anything to bribe them with, don’t try to bribe them. It’s like if McDonald’s advertised a free gift with every purchase but it was a secret, and then it turns out that the free gift is a ketchup packet.

Don’t want to be shitting on you if this model is where you’re currently at, there’s no shame in that, but then I’d recommend framing it differently, like, “Maybe when you’re done you’ll take a look at the model I just finished!” Not like it’s a gift.

Well, the first time I tried to use Blender (2.49), it simply refused to start. Out of fustration and having very little time as I entered college, I deleted it and trashed the idea of making CG art. Shortly after graduating, Blender came back to my mind for some unknown reason, downloaded the latest version (2.69) and started exploring the features.

I installed 2.49 on Ubuntu linux over the console, probably. It was smooth as butter, but I eventually learned that 2.5 was out already and the linux repositories were still not updated. And after that I learned that I can’t run CUDA from linux for whatever reason. Buzzkill, but no problems other than that. Graphics was the biggest problem.