SOLVED How to unwrap face for texturing?

Hello,

Those are example from the web, of what I want to do = texture my characters like this.

Now, assuming i have the texture =

is there an automatic way to unwrap the face like this ?

For low poly like the monkey it is no big deal to make it “manually”. But what about higher detail models (like the girl, for example) ?
How do the professionals do it ?

Thanks in advance !

You cut it, basically. That’s why it’s called marking seams. That’s just one reason why you need good topology. Professionals do it by hand, I do it by hand, and so will you.

It’s very important to learn not just how to unwrap, but being organized with your island placement and making optimal use of your texture space. Try to skip a step and you’ll just end up frustrated.

With girl? So there’s more painting on the model - so do the prof, and then the unwrap. After the 3D unwrap on the plane, the image in some places seems to be stretched like rubber, this is hard to do in the 2D editor. Probably all the same 3d painting . Where there are lessons in Youtube …
Here is the first thing I found (but there are more of them):

p.s. I did not draw myself, but in theory I understand the process

and the girl-model, is not depicted in the game position :eyebrowlift:

So much to say, but I’ll keep it short . . .I mark the seams by selecting the edges, then ctrl E > mark seams, then U and unwrap, Blender will unwrap it to a 2D image. Experiment with the best way to mark your seams. You can clear the seams, and try again if it didn’t unwrap to your satisfaction. Make sure you set the bleed to something higher than default .2. The bleed is in texture paint, options. Otherwise, when you paint, or clone on your mesh, you’ll get edge flashing. There are many other ways I’ve done this. including color coding the model and exporting to PS, or Substance Painter, or cloning from an image, painting on the mesh, or on the UVImage. among others. I can’t decide which is the best. Sometimes I use the “Unwrap image from view” option, as it sometimes gives me a better result. In the UVimage editer, in edit mode, you can stretch the vertices to get rid of the stretched look on your mesh. You kinda want to make sure the islands are fairly close to being the same size. Maybe someone can explain better.

Here how to use mark seam -

I understand, thanks guys! Very useful.

“Project from view” is what I do as well. It works good for the face, but it becomes difficult to blend in the hair afterwards.

This is why I make hair and ears as different low poly objects. It is a good solution but only low poly.

Thanks again!

• if you received a response, write in before the title of the topic - SOLVED. It is more convenient for us to view the forum …

Thank you.

also in the case of a lot of specific textures, like a character…you only unwrap to get a projection canvas THEN paint the textures…painting the texture for higher poly items followed by unwrapping would be tediously slow…to the point of useless…which is why people do not do it. I had an old tutorial series where I modeled and textured a female in 2.3x or 2.4x(I think)…it was a long long time ago if anyone remembers or has a link to the “bloody Molly” modeling and texturing series let me know.

Sometimes I use “unwrap from view” on the faces also, but if you mark your head seems correctly, you can get close to the 3d head texture. I also select the ears on the 3d head texture in PS, and cut them out, then paste them somewhere else on my texture map. Then I clone where the ears were. Otherwise, you get the image of the ear, behind the actual ear on your head mesh. I mark seams around the ear to separate them from the head mesh. makes it easy to select, hover cursor over the ear, hit “L” to highlight ear, map them to new location. Good luck with your projects.