Building Blender with Visual Studio not working

First off, this is copypasta from my Stack Exchange post, found here: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/102569/building-blender-with-visual-studio-not-working

I’ve been following the instructions here:https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Windows

Everything goes fine until I try actually making the program. My best guesses are that something is configured wrong in my Visual Studio build, or maybe it’s a problem unique to VS 2017, and all the error log file tells me is The system is: Windows - 10.0.16299 - AMD64
I’m pretty new to compiling and code in general, but I haven’t found any hand-holding instructions on how to fix this, and if there’s a GUI-based way to do this from VS or Cmake I haven’t found instructions. Any help?
Other things I’ve tried: Adding MSBuild to path environment variables, using the VS command prompt. No luck :frowning:
Error message in full:

loading initial cache file C:\blender-git\blender\\build_files\cmake\config\blender_full.cmake
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:111 (project): Failed to run MSBuild command:
MSBuild.exeto get the value of VCTargetsPath:
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.7.2556.0
[Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.42000]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 3/7/2018 10:10:19 AM.
Project "C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc12_Release\CMakeFiles\3.11.0-rc1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc12_Release\CMakeFiles\3.11.0-rc1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj(14,2): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc12_Release\CMakeFiles\3.11.0-rc1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc12_Release\CMakeFiles\3.11.0-rc1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
  C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc12_Release\CMakeFiles\3.11.0-rc1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj(14,2): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)     1 Error(s)

you did read the error ?

The imported project “C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props” was not found.

that is in the system $PATH ?

or set in visual studio

now it has been many many years since i moved to linux and autotools