Rotation Issues

Simply trying to rotate a Jumpgate in space around X axis. Closest I can get is rotating with Quarternion settings…but they don’t like numerical inputs. I know rotation is somewhat tricky but this has me stumped.
Any help highly appreciated…or even any workaround suggestions.

TIA - Jeff

Attachments

Hey, If you set your rotation mode to ‘XYZ’ and they are not locked, there should be no issue. If it does not rotate like you want, switch from ‘Global’ to ‘Local’ transforms (in the 3D header).

What is the problem ?

Thanks for the replies.

ajcdfin…I tried the local orientation in my own troubleshooting but it didn’t work. I will look at some of the other rotation axis settings. I can rotate it in X with the manipulator, using Quarternion setting, but I want it to rotate 360 degrees (then loop naturally).

Hadriscus…I’m just trying to get that large ring to rotate in the X axis 360 degrees. I can only get it to stay in the X plane if I use Quarternion rotation settings…and they are in some other numerical system, not degrees.
All other attempts result in the ring rotating like a coin spinning on edge, or flipping…not rotating like a gear.

WOW! OK…solved it…

I set orientation to Local…which reorients Manipulator as expected
Set Euler to “XYZ”
Keyframe 0…Set
Jump to frame 250 (default) > Input 450 degrees into “Y” axis field > Set keyframe
= Ring spinning as expected like a gear around its own axis

Why it is not the Z axis when set to Local I have no idea. If it remained “flat” in XY, like it was created, it would be the Z axis. When reset to “Local” it is the Z axis that is the obvious axis it rotates around. Strange…but thrilled to get it working!

Thanks so much ajcdfin!

There’s no “Dick” bone in the rig, never going to work…

Cheers, Clock. :D:D

LoL, That is it !!

I’m not sure what the Rotation issue is…
are you talking about the Rotation ‘flipping’ at a certain point?

also just judging by your picture you need to ‘Apply’ your scale to your model… this can have an adverse effect on your Rotations in some instances…
(not sure if would here however if your trying to Rotate along X axis…)

in agreement with ajcdfin advise in post #2

if your having a ‘flipping’ issue due to rotation around one axis that starts to approach near or more than 360*

you will need to create an empty object at the center of rotation for the ‘gate’ object and parent the ‘gate’ to the empty…
then by rotating the empty and the gate object you can avoid most flipping problems…
or at least move them down stream in the animation far enough to keep them out of frame…

Strange…I’ve written two followup replies but neither posted. Let’s hope this one does.

Thanks for the help! I did get it sorted by using XYZ Euler and Local setting. It stays revolving in the X plane axis…but only when I input 360 into the “Y” field. A bit odd but works.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

I see my other replies posted, glad to see that.

In the interest of wrapping up:

By far the easiest method is parenting to an empty, as norvman suggests. But you need to establish your rotation keyframes first, then parent to the empty, then rotate the empty 90 degrees (or probably X degrees…I didn’t test for say, 80 degrees). So, two ways to unravel this issue.

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

You need to wait for your first 10 posts to be moderated, after that they appear immediately.

Cheers, Clock.