Painting cavity/curvature map based on normalmap.

Hello,

My question is it is possible painting cavity based on normalmap in blender texture paint mode?

(in a simple and smart sculpting program ‘sculptris’ is possible and very useful for painting realistic and detail creature skin)

Painting cavity based on normalmap it is much faster then painting cavity based on geometry cavity (pointiness).
Within blender paint mode have a cavity mask mode (that based on pointiness) and it is very slow if your model is high poly.

I try to simulate painting cavity map based on normalmap i use (texture paint -> slots -> mask) options with stencil map. I crate stencil cavity map baking normalmap from high poly and generate cavity map with this node setup:

convert normalmap to curvature/cavity map blend file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bixkxs6cSes-J9GVwDeIP7pW2OnGNhYd/view

discussion about convert normalmap to cavity:

other question: how can i painting with cavity mask without visualize it (dont need to see the stencil mask when i painting cavity on geomety) . I always need turn on/off mask button to see the result it is very inconvenient.

Yeah it is possible but it will require some nodes setup. You will need this Normal to Cavity node

and i made quick setup.

Thank you pachupp ! :wink:
I’m going to try it.

Other question:

Can i painting on base color texture without see the cavity mask or setup alpha value for mask visualization?
In Slots -> Mask -> Visualization, only possible setup color value.

better explanation of what I want:

When i painting on an object with stencil mask texture need an options alpha value. Most of time don’t need to see where is the stencil mask is. Only for checking one time before painting. But with alpha value you can refine how stencil mask visible. So i want to see that area where stencil mask is overlapping while i painting on a surface.

in zbrus, it have a panel and curve options to controlling the cavity mask area