Can someone tell me what is the proper way to import another blend model ?

I go file->append->file file.

I am confronted with folder Brush/FreestyleLineStyle/Image/Material/Mesh/Object/Scene/Texture/World.

I JUST want to import the model with the textures, I don’t want to import another scene into my already existing scene leading to a “scene.001”, no no I don’t want that.

And what is the difference between the Mesh Folder and the Object Folder ?
In what universe would I want to import a mesh with no texture !?!!
Why is everything so unnecessarily complicated with Blender ?

I JUST want to import my model with texture !
What is the way to do it ?

If you just want the object with texture imported just click append, locate your model you want then select the object folder then use the model/s that you want. They will now be imported into the current project and have textures and all.

see fir MS

happy cl

First, it is not very complicated. But I will get to that. :slight_smile:

Just for what it is worth this is where a fundamental understanding of Data Blocks in Blender comes in. And the power at the artist level which some apps don’t give you. The only regret I have now is that more of this is not available at the node level. I think 2.8 is going to start to make that more possible.

What you are looking at when you append and click on a Blend file, is - in a way - the code level of the file presented to you in organized folders which corespond to the various Data Blocks.

I could be completely ignorant here. But I don’t think any app allows this kind of simple-to-get-to organized access to the data in a file. I know a Maya .ma file can be loaded into a script editor (as can a LightWave .lws file) but I am not aware of any app that allows you to peek into and extract specific data - in a file. You can have access, like Models in XSI or referencing in Most apps. Or Load Items From Scene in LightWave or Load Object Layers in LightWave. But these are not really fundamentally the same thing. I am ignorant of 3D Max and Houdini as well as Cinema 4D in this regard. I don’t know about Modo. So taking that aas a disclaimer, I am pretty sure Blender is the only app that gives you this.

But why make it so complicated you ask?

Well first, it isn’t.

If you want to append an object, just go to the Object folder when appending and select it. It will bring all of the materials and so on. If you chose link, it will create a reference to that object that you can continue to edit in the original (linked) file and have it updated in the file you linked it to.

Of course as mentioned you can simply copy and paste from one file to another. They may or may not be as convenient as appending.

I am glossing over a huge subject in Data Blocks and workflow. There are so many uses. Especially for linking groups. It is a very powerful fearture.

Understanding the difference between mesh and object is a very vital understanding of Blender and how it works and how, in your Blend file while you are working you are dealing with data blocks.

I start to discuss this here:

I continue on to discuss it through several video.

You can start there and continue to get a better understanding of this.

Mesh data can be saved in a file separate from Object data. Just FYI.

Thank you FlyingBanana !
That is it !

Thank you Richard Culver, you are dedicated and detail as always, never stop learning from you !
Nice Video !
I looked at your videos and I am confounded as to why there are so little views…
We should do a collaboration so that I can bring some of my subscribers to you:
www.youtube.com.sg/user/Bracerjack
Let me know what you think !

Thanks man. Sure why not?

Mainly I have been doing videos to train my own people and so I don’t have to repeat myself.

But yeah, lets try some kind of collab. You can reach me directly on my site:

http://www.studiowold.com/contact.html

And then lets talk about some ideas. :slight_smile:

“train my own people”
There was a flash in my mind that you are a smurf and you have to go and teach the smurf to smurf blender as they have never smurf before, ha ha ha
Family guy flash backs.