Help! Need vertex paint and textures separate!

Hi, guys,

I’ve got a problem and need it solved very quickly, if it’s possible at all.

I’m working on a rendering project for the company I work for, and they are trying to render hundreds of cars under certain conditions with a request: they need both a render set of the regular textures, like lighting and color and the like, and then they need a render set (of the same car) with the segmented vertex painted panels on the car in the scene. Is there any way to set it up so I can switch easily between regular color and vertex color, without having to set it up every time I import a car? If I do have to set it up on every car, can I copy and paste it into the node editor? I am using Cycles Render, as well. I found a page earlier that explained how to do it to one object, and I need to be able to apply this to multiple objects at once (the car has lots of parts). It’s a time sensitive project, so it can’t take a long time to set up, unfortunately.

Thanks, and I’ll be waiting for responses.

I’ve solved the problem with rendering the vertex paint, but now I have another problem. We need the car to have no reflections, but when I turn off reflections on all objects in ray visibility, there is still a reflection from the background. I tried removing the background image, but it shows up in the render and the car still has reflections on it. What setting do I go to to turn off the background reflections? I also don’t know where the light source is coming from.

your terminology/definitions are so poor, it is hard to tell what you are asking. What are “segmented vertex painted panels”? You are going to have to figure out proper definitions and terminology to get an answer for complex issues.

as far as i can tell, look into “cycles making and adding node groups”.

or you can set up two node sets in the node editor, and then plug in one to the output, and then when done, unplug it, and plug in the other.

I can’t say too much about the project, but what I mean by segmented panels is that each of the car parts are painted a different color using vertex paint. I actually already posted a reply to the thread stating that I figured out how to get the vertex paints to show up in Cycles Render, but the post hasn’t passed moderation yet.

:slight_smile: My problem now is that I can’t figure out why the reflections of the background JPG image are still showing up on the objects in the scene; it’s puzzling because I turned off object reflectivity on each of the individual parts. Example: the hood still shows clouds and trees but it shouldn’t because I turned off glossy and shadows.

iirc reflections are on in cycles by default. gloss and shadow have little to do with it. turn off reflections.

If I turn off reflections in ray tracing, it makes the model turn black. Do I need to disconnect the glossy/reflective materials to avoid that?