Fluid sim how to direct flow (aim at moving Target)

Hi all,

I have been using the fluid sim a few times and for me it works well,
This time I am wanting to aim the liquid at a moving Target.

It is possible to have it auto aim and splash the object?
I have tried changing flow strength on xyz but it’s very painful to get right

Cheers

Hi Tox,

First of all I would not do that with fluid sim. I would use particle systems and remesh them.
But with fluid sim you can add a extra geometry and set the fluid physics to “control” and the strenght to 10. That way you have the target. But all that needs a lot of testing and lots of calculation time…I have no time to test it more… I would do that with particles and remesh.
maybe a good link and thanks to Bone-Studio:

Hi Piet,

Thanks for your reply. I have fiddled with partical system. And it has some great features but I think it’s slightly to uncontrollable… I always find it just goes a little too nuts for what I need…

I tried the control and sure enough it does attract the fluid to objects but wraps around the object.
It also kind of works like a magnet with ion filings in a jar. When magnet gets close it attract the ion and always seems to be a very repeated look… I would rather have a more random look

I think I need to trial partical systems a little more as I’ve spent hours and hours trying different things and the partical system has alot of features to direct path of partical… but seems that it’s a little crazy and hard to manage.

I tried hiding the control behind another onject and got a decent job. But nothing as good as my manual attempt to change forces on xyz and let it aim… changing forces along the way.

The only painful thing is how blender always renders fluid from frame 0 so if I have a 3000frame anim and want water from 2500-3000 I’m waiting ages between test…

I might be using it wrong but it’s really difficult and time consuming.
I really hope there is a better way.

Best way to describe what I’m doing is, to have a pulsed (5 short jets of water) shooting across a scene and falling onto a moving object. Which than slowly drops into the bucket underneath. I’d want the water to be as random as possible. It seems when I used control it blobs water and looks similar when turned on.
Also when turn the control on and off it attract the water from bucket also! Which is not what in going for.

Thanks
Shaun

Hi Shaun,

you are right that particles are difficult and time consuming to setup. Have problems with that all the time too and I play with that particles since quite a while.
About that fluidsim you need from 2500-3000… there is maybe the possibility duplicate your scene and move all keys from and after frame 2500 to frame 1 so that the last keys are at 500 or something. Calculate the sim and cut that rendered shots together in post. I could tell some more about renaming cache files but i beliefe you are going crazy and this is also difficult to do explain.
Another thing i don`t know is if you did find in manual is:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/physics/force_fields/index.html
There is a good overview what the forcefields do.
And maybe this fluid cache start and end problem and other things will be solved by sebbas in manta flow… it looks like that at the moment…thats cool.
thats all I can tell you even if it does not realy solve you fluidsim but i hope it helps a bit to find a way to do that… and maybe another member can help you more.
cheers.

Hey champ. Thanks for replying again… massive cheers

Anyways yea I’ve thought about making the blender file have separate scenes… but I worry about the model as it’s not perfect yet and any modding would need to be modded twice…

Ie wien create a copy scene and delete all keyframes and move the fluid to frame 10 or so…
If I want to change anything I’d have to do it twice for each scene or the outputs won’t match.

With respects to this maybe you can answer these questions?

1. I might be using it wrong. But the add new scene… I use full copy because all other options keep the timeline as is any edits in timeline changes for both scenes…
    Only when using full copy is when the timelines become independent of each scene.
    Is there a way to use all assets from the primary scene but have a new timeline?

Also when I try to edit scene output quality and other render settings things are sometimes off and takes ages to find what I changed days ago as an example. Any easy way to sync output settings? Render quality. Ambient occulusion etc?

I have only just in the last few days understood about action editor. And how you can create different animations… perhaps I can keep all objects as they are and for a new scene or origional scene use the different action sequence. I’d imagine one would need to be created for each object in the scene

Any other tips with having separate scenes would be most welcomed…

Cheer

Hi Shaun,

it is also possible to link in scenes from different files. then you will have all the rendersettings… but to learn more about that linked files is on my personal to do list. I have some experience but not enough to tell you something. So I cant give you any answere how it works with particle or fluid sims. Thats maybe a very convenient and the right way to do what you need. If you try it and have some success with it tell me… that would be interesting to me too. Have no time at the moment to test that linked particles and fluid stuff.
Thanks… good luck… and cheers champ :wink:

Here is what I’ve found

I am going to use the linked objects new scene…
I’m going to duplicate the action
On the duplicated action I’ll delete all but the fluid scene
On the original I’ll delete the fluid scene

I will transition the scenes by zooming the camera to an area that’s not important.
As my scenes have clothes physics and the clothing physics should be reset for the next scene…

Wish me luck haha

Thanks